1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unique role for a skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by JLUsed, Dec 1, 2006.

1. JLUsed

JLUsed LawnSite Member

I have been looking for a skid steer for my business, and I'm interesting in your opinions about whether it would be a good fit. Unlike most of you who are in the construction / landscaping business, I run an automotive salvage yard (junkyard). We have a smaller Hyster crane as our primary machine for loading our truck and stacking cars, but I thought a skid steer would be a useful addition. We would use it primarily for pulling engines, hauling around engines and transmissions, loading engines onto our flat truck and maybe pushing around smaller and midsize cars by lifting the front. Also, we need to do some earth moving, as we're probably going to pave a portion of the yard.
    Do you think a skid steer would serve us well for these tasks? Engine / trans combos generally weigh under a 1000 lbs, and when moving around midsize cars (approximately 3200lbs) we'd only lift the front.

Also, I've been looking at a few models of used skids, namely Case 1845s, 60xts. Are these solid machines?

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

JLUsed- From the ways you will be using the skid, it sounds like buying one would be useful and handy around your yard. It would be good for clean up and moving around smaller junk when you don't feel like messing with the crane.

The Case skid steers are very reliable and solid machines We have an 1845C that has held up great. The tipping load on those is around 3,400 lbs., and maximum lift is a few hundred pounds less. They also hold value good too.

If you wind up buying a skid, I would also invest in a set of forks and maybe a grapple bucket, to go along with a standard or high volume bucket. I would definetly get the tires foam filled, or buy some of those new McLaren punture proof tires. If the conditions of your yard get sloppy, you could look into some over the tire steel tracks.
  3. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I just sold a old Clark Propane forklift to a junk yard. They had a skidsteer and they said it was nice for somethings but for pulling engines and putting them into racks..it was a major pain in the butt.

Something to consider. I think you'd get a lot of use out of one none the less.
  4. GAskidsteer

GAskidsteer LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

A skidsteer would be useful in a lot of ways, BUT, it will keep the ground tore up, everywhere it goes. In your case, I would probably opt for a articulated rubber tire loader. I have 2 forklifts,and 2 skidsteers, but I strongly prefer the forklifts when working around the shop. They don't tear up the ground and have more lifting capacity than the skidsteers. Just my .02.
  5. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

Another thing to consider is how the skidsteer acts on pavement. Some can be quite jumpy turning on pavement and with a delicate loadyou may lose it.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If your lot is gravel, get an articulated loader. If it's pavement, a skid steer with solid tires will be fine. You'll want solids so you're not getting flats all the time, plus the solids won't allow the machine to jump and dive.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

We have a scrap metal yard close by that has a skid they use.
    Every time I go there I see someone in it hauling stuff around.
    Most of the yards down here are just big fields with little gravel or pavement.

I also see several yards with old backhoes with the hoe removed and weights added.
    They are very stable and easily lift whole cars.
  8. JLUsed

JLUsed LawnSite Member

Found a nice 97 Mustang 2070 with ~650 hours. Full cab. Looks to be in excellent condition. $9000. Do you think that's a good deal.
  9. JLUsed

JLUsed LawnSite Member

By the way, I'd like to thank everyone for their comments! This site is a great resource.
  10. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

That is a pretty good price. That machine is a well built and reliable one.

I'd say go for it.