1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unique Situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveRave07, Jul 7, 2005.

1. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have recently come to find out that a neighbor down the road (I live on a pretty small development) also owns a LCO. Although it is a small development I do not really know the guy and it is just a little weird if I am outside with my truck and trailer and he drives down in his truck and trailer. I don't really care its just sort of a unique situation. Anyone else have a situation like this?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

What's the problem?
    He's trying to make money and so are you.
    If he were an Engineer and you were also an Engineer would it still be a problem?
  3. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I don't have a situation like this, but as long as you have the bigger company, just smile and wave. Ha Ha!
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy just down the road from me that is an LCO. I pass by his house all the time. He seems to have a nice set up. A couple of weeks ago I passed by and saw he had a 48"Toro Proline in front of his house for sale. I stoppes and took a look at it and he came out to talk to me. We had a nice conversation. He even asked me if I wanted to take some of his aerating clients in the fall because he lost his helper and has been doing the solo gig this year.
  5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i don't understand. ?

In my area there a plenty of LCO's , we all wave to eachother.
  6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I would see this as a good opportunity. Go talk to the guy. Maybe he's up to his ears in work and could use a friend in the business to help him out. You never know you might have some to send his way soon. You can never have to many friends. I try not to look at other LCO's as competition. Maybe if we talked to each other more there would't be such a decrease in average price in some areas.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the problem? There's 3 that live on my street besides me. Know them all and don't have any problems with anyone. :rolleyes: :) :)
  8. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Believe it or not, my neighbor is one. And as a matter of fact, he is one of the areas biggest. When I started, I felt a little strange about it, you know a little intimidated. He has several trucks, alot of employees, and great equipment. I wasn't too sure how I was going to handle it. Plus initially, when we first met, we got into a really huge fight (name calling, threats, so forth). The distrust lasted for years. Over time we came to get along with each other. Our children play together all of the time.

And to top it off, his wife, when they found out I was going to start my own lco, she came over and started giving me advice on taxes, business tips, and also told me if I ever have a question, feel free to ask them.

And better yet, they said that since there routes for their crews are pretty tight, and get any small jobs, they will refer me. Small jobs, big jobs. They are all the same to me - money.

I look back on those days, when I worried how my competetion / neighbors / AND friends would take it. And I have to say, they took it with grace and style. Thanks!
  9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

DID HE SAY THERE WAS A PROBLEM you damn goof balls no he didn't just thought it was funny how he live right down the road and don't really know him. Cant yous read it all or just every other word or so ?
  10. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Hey guys - Who ever said there was a problem??

I just thought it was unique that two of us lived together in a small development and asked if it was a common situation. It is just weird when I first saw him with his equipment because this guy is my neighbor and I never knew he ran a LCO, and I don't know whether he knew that I did.