1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

"Unique" tax deductions

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mowin4cash, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

How about this thread being for "unique" tax deductions and other cool ways to save a buck? I didn't know until recently that you could get back fuel taxes you paid at the pump for equipment fuel. Must be other ways to save money that some folks haven't heard of.

Mike

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, to the best of my knowledge, you can write off:

1. Truck payments/equipment payments

2. Gas

3. Mileage

4. A certain percentage for using your home as an office

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Also a percentage of your computer!

4. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

here's a thought .....the food and up keep on your dog....
    anti thieft.....i belevie if you park your rig withihn the fenced area with your poch right off ??????????????

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Get state refund and federal credit for fuel tax, on fuel used in off-road equipment. Means here we get 33.4 cents back fo reach gallon.

6. zimm4

zimm4 LawnSite Member

You can also take health insurance off also.
    Dont forget any tools and uniforms. fund your ira for a nice deduction. As long as its not a roth ira.

7. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

My accountant said to be careful about writing off the home as a business, I am trying to sell my house and she said it was best not do it. Also I write off my mileage vs. the truck payments. Dont forget business supplies and postage on invoices, mailings etc. Dues to civic organizations also, like http://www.paturfgrass.org

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We have company uniforms that are dry cleaned thru a local outfit. Funny how different clothes from our home often wind up in the wrong hamper.(*wink *wink) It just increase our write off.

Kris

9. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Zimm4

I am just curious as to why you would continue with the traditional IRA and not start a roth IRA. I would rather pay taxes on $2000 worth of income this year as opposed to what it accumulates to in 20...30...40 years from now.

$2000 a year at 8% interest for 45 years (in my case). would equal $90,000 invested and $773,011.23 value at retirement. which would you rather pay taxes on?

10. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

1st off, write off 21.95 a month for AOL cuz of LAWNSITE!!! Maybe only a portion.... I wrote off a speeding ticket 2 yrs ago cuz I was on my way home from picking up my new 20 ft. lawn trailer.
    I write off 4x4 subscription-(truck upkeep), gatorade on the job (had to argue for this one), but food-no.
    At least in my area, I can't write off home office expenses cuz I provide a service business, & that service is provided at their location, not mine.
    There's tons of legit stuff that Uncle Sam allows; enjoy it!