Unirrigated lawns in Dallas are...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jun 12, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

just about completely dormant. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't see another drop of rain between now and October 1st. Last meaningful rain here was April 20th.

I've seen rainy Junes in this area and I've seen rainy Septembers, but I've never seen a rainy July or August. An occassional shower in Juy or August that just gets the streets wet isn't unheard of, but a real rain in July or August is unusual in this area.

I'm getting skipped by bi-weekly clients and they are not out of line to do so if they haven't been watering. It is bad here and I think things will get a lot worse.

What is really meant by a "20% chance of rain"? We get this forecast at least 4 or 5 days a week on Weatherbug. If there is a 20% chance of rain, and they say this is the forecast 5 days in a row, shouldn't it rain on one of these days? We've had a "20% chance of rain" for at least 40 of the last 50 days and there has been nothing. If you say there is a 20% chance of something 40 times in a row and it never comes true, you have to wonder what is really meant by a "20% chance", don't you?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Last year in my part of North Mississippi we had 3.4 inches of rain from the last of April until late September. The average is 4 inches a month in the summer here. Two rains brought by Katrina and Dennis. I mowed lawns every 3 weeks that are usually almost overgrown in 7 days on a normal year.

3. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

No rain here in the ATL for many days, none forecasted in sight. Water restrictions beginning...gas still at $3! errrgh

4. thill

thill LawnSite Member

DFW

It is super dry here in the Austin area too. Praises to our clients who do have irrigation.

Since the tropical storm forcast for this season is really wild, we might see unusual relief in July, etc.

BTW - glad to see you came back to the site.

Good luck
    Tom

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that, we're not much better off here in virginia but one thing I have noticed is this: It would appear that there exist people who call the weather station (forecasters) and ask and ask about the rain (or the lack of) and to make this short, basically they think the forecaster has control over this. Maybe I'm wrong, but often I notice a trend of 'wishful' forecasting, we get the 30% chance crap here but if it rains TONS and it looks like more is coming, there appears to be a tendency on the forecaster's part to play it down with extended forecasts for 'no rain' but the next 1-2 days it's 70-90% and then sure enough, 2 days later the next 1-2 days are all rain but the extended forecast isn't so bad, as an example...

I could be wrong, but...

As for the delayed grass-cutting schedule, it is summer here and rain or not, grass doesn't grow as fast in summer. Even if it rains every 3-4 days, in July-August my lawns are still 2-3 weeks apart because it slows down as mother nature is at work. Things pick back up some in September, then October it starts to wean off again towards winter.

I keep trying to tell you guys, we don't cut every 7 days year-round as more than a few Lco's here would like us all to believe.

6. rickt

rickt LawnSite Member

Its impossible to water your lawn in dallas, you can only water once per (7) days. The grass is going to dry no matter what.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What calendar are you using? :laugh:

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We were getting pretty dry until the tropical storm hit Fla. Not dry enough to slow down the cutting times. We usually get the bands of rain from tropical storms/Hurricanes. I love them$$$. They are drought busters. I could see where Dallas would be drought prone. We had a 3 year drought awhile back and it was touch and go for the lawn biz. Many times it was saved by the tropic's. There tropic's weren't very active during that period. Big ole high pressure just sat over the southeast like the plague

9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember correctly from metorology class it means that 20% of an area will get rain. It does not mean that there is a 20% chance of rain. For example I live in Volusia county florida it calls for 20% chance of rain that means that 20% of the area will recieve rain. Well 20% of my area is pretty darn small. That is why sometimes you can look out and watch it rain across the street. Means you just weren't included in the 20%.

10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

It's as dry as a powder house up north of you too. We've had .01 (this is 1/100) of an inch this month.

What does 20% chance of rain mean ? According to a local weatherman on TV it means there is a 20% chance of it raining somewhere within the viewing area. :-(

Nosmo