United State Lawn Mower Racing Association

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Dec 5, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone here involved with the United State Lawn Mower Racing Association, you know, those people that are racing garden tractors on ESPN2? Their website is www.letsmow.com. I am thinking of building one of these things and challenging some of the other Landscpapers in the area to fun and games.

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't challenge me to have fun or I'll go out and have fun, da**it! (I come from a long line of contrary Irish, please excuse me).

Ya know, the women hanging out with these guys are pretty gorgeous. Still, I kinda doubt those are stock engines...come to think of it, those suspensions don't look stock either.

Sign me up!

3. naturescaretaker

I've got an old Craftsman garden tractor that a customer gave me with a blown up engine. I've got a spare 25hp Kaw sitting in the shop... I wonder is I remove the labels from it if they would pass if for a 12.5hp..... Change the carb, intake and exhaust and you've got some power. According to their website a 10hp goes up to 60 mph.... think what a 25hp would do in the f/x class......

I used to race HDRA 4X4's and SCCA stuff before. This would be cheap to get into, let some steam off and check out all of those "volunteer beauty's" that want to get into the action :p

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Do they change the gearing or what exactly do they do to get the added speed?

5. naturescaretaker

6. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I have been racing them for 3 years now, FX class. Motors is a 14 1/2 briggs OHV motor, been worked over by my buddy. Mower weighs about 220 lbs, stock frame, all running gear is off gokarts. And most Fx"s will out run a BP (twin cylinder) mower. My mower is geared to run about 60 mph top end, the tracks are designed so you can"t go any faster than that. We have seen a BP on a track top out at 83 mph & have seen a BP run a 1/8 at 63 mph even though it missed a shift.

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You'd never see me on a lawnmower going 80 mph.

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Does the grass clump at that speed? :laugh:

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I will put the speed up kit on my walker and enter it. I bet I can get at least last place.

LOL