University study on cutting wet grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Jul 27, 2013.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Any studies on cutting wet grass? What I want to know is if for a 10 week period you cut half a yard right after watering and the other half 2 or 3hours later (dry) would the grass cut dry be healthier? How? The only thing I can find is a ''possibility'' of disease if cut wet. Same yard same conditions.I am not asking about rutting or clumps of grass etc.

2. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

From my experience the only problem found from cutting wet grass is that it bends over an lays down. Just my two cents.

3. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cutting wet foliage tears the foliage tissue instead of clean cutting the tissue. Tearing the tissue weakens the foliage allowing for disease susceptibility along with causing pre mature sinensis. Will cause foliage depleation faster than replacement of new foliage.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I cut wet grass all the time and it's still alive and growing, unfortunately. The biggest culprit of damaged lawn areas are pesticide applicators who don't know what they're doing.

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how anyone can cut wet grass and not consider rutting or clumping, since I can't get stuck without rutting I guess that rules out getting stuck as well, and clumping being a pre-cursor to grass buildup we have ruled out the mess underneath the deck, well, there you have it, according to this biased study there is no disadvantage to cutting wet grass but I do hope this study isn't part of any real University.

There is however, one other disadvantage and that is root breakage...
    When riding over top of soft, wet soil there occur depressions, even without rutting we have pronounced soil compaction that is far worse than it would be on dry soil, this compaction is such that roots can break off underneath the soil, causing areas of grass to die.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

As for me, and my real-world observations (which are all that really count) I've never seen any adverse effects of cutting wet grass.

7. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

What about grass getting two feet tall because it rains every freaking day for weeks? Do you cut, or let it rot? Personally I cut raining or not. Also you have to take into account the jerk-off fert companies that use 46 percent nitrogen every four weeks in the spring leaving you a rotting mess.:hammerhead:

8. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

no harm meant, but what would someone from texas know about cutting wet grass? unless your people all irrigate and your going into mow before the crazy texas heat has dried the lawn i guess. parts of the country are receiving so much rain right now they have to basically always mow wet grass or starve.

9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My thought's also.

10. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree Tom. Some people seem to worry about cutting grass when its wet, but I would venture a guess more damage is done cutting with dull blades. I would be more worried about keeping a sharp edge on the blade rather than worrying about the moisture content of the grass.