Unknown Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Sep 15, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have about 6 or 7 customers that I've never seen face to face before. Some have been around for 3-4 years. Our only communication is phone and mail. Does this sound familiar?

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep.

Might depend on personality.

I started young. Had 11 employess while in college, I left a better impression over the phone and thru the mail.

Kinda kept it that way.

Now, I'm chummy with some of my customers, but most of them, all I care about is their lawns and their money.

I probably have 120+ who have never met me.

[Edited by Lazer on 09-15-2000 at 09:25 PM]

3. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

One of our wealthy accounts sends out the house keeper once a month while were working in the yard. He gives us a envelope with cash payment for services and explains any special instructions to us at that time. Turns and says see you next month as he goes back inside. Man wish I had 10 more just like that!

4. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

I thought I was the only one with customers like that. They are the best ones, they always pay there bill on time and never complain even if you skip a little trimming when you are running behind schedule. I had one customer that I never met for 2 years.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have one customer I been doing for 10 years. She says she is married to a travelling salesman. I have never ever seen him at home. Never ever met him. I am over there most every week for 2 hours at a time on different days. His name is not on the check. She is in her 60s.

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

I have a feeling that maybe she doesnt have a husband. no car? no name on check? maybe sometime when u know no one is there take a peek at the mail in the mailbox.

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

STS,
    Now why are you going to suggest that someone commit a federal offense? If Charles gets caught, the feds are going to haul you in for conspiracy. And the prosecutor's going to have an easy conviction, with you writing the evidence for all the world to see ;)

8. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

These are the best kind.

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've had several of these, usually they have moved out of state and call me to work until the house sells or rents. Any of you ever have problems collecting $$ from people like this? I don't think you'd ever be able to shake the bucks loose from someone ina another state. No problems yet, but... BTW, I know you were kidding, but don't mess with the mailboxes. I got a letter from the USPS my first season for putting customers' bills in the box. I was trying to save postage, but got a nastygram telling me it is a crime and not to do it. Scared the devil out of me. I thought they'd send the FBI or something.