Unlevel Idler Pulley

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Troy Landry, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Troy Landry

Troy Landry LawnSite Member

I HAVE TWO 60" LAZER Z'S,BOTH OF THEM HAVE UNLEVEL IDLER PULLEYS. HOW DO YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM ? AND WHAT SHOULD I DO SO THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO MY OTHER 72" LAZER.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Troy,

Usually on the deck belts the idlers don't become a major issue until they really get out of alignment. If you ever have an issue of throwing belts or belt life issues get that looked at right away.

To fix simply remove the belt, remove the spring and unbolt the idler at the pivot. Determine if the bushing is worn or not. If the bushing is worn replace it, if it's been running too long in a worn you may need to replace the idler arm itself. The bushing should be loose enough to fall free from the arm but not have a slopping fit. Most of the time replacing the bushing and hitting the arm with some emery cloth as well as the pivot stud will be adequate. If the busing/pivot are both in good shape it's possible the arm itself is bent. The arm is under constant tension and if you hit a large object the arm and pivot take a great deal of the impact. That impact can cause the arm to bend once in a while. If that is the case simply remove the idler pulley and use and adjustable wrench to grasp the end and force the arm straight again. This can be done with the arm mounted to the machine or in a vise. It's a pretty simple fix.

Just as an FYI, I recommend that all spring-loaded idlers be inspected for these items over the winter when you have a little time and can take your time to make sure everything is in good working order. The bushings are not that expensive, especially compared to the arm so swapping them out each year makes sense. The big thing is to grease it weekly and every so often remove the belt tension and then grease it. This ensures that grease makes it all the way around the pivot point and decreases the wear. The 60" and 72" seam to have fewer issues in the deck idler pivots.

Give me a call at 800-667-5296 if you have any questions.

Thanks

Terry