Unlicensed Applicators(competitor)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ben Harris, May 6, 2013.

1. Ben Harris

Ben Harris LawnSite Member

Do ya'll report these people or just let them be?

I see people advertising and in NC on the NCAGR you can search a database to view who is licensed correctly or not. They are risking harming the environment as well as low balling legit companies who are dedicating themselves to meeting the state licensing requirements. I also don't want to be a taddle tale but I mean wtf.

2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Let 'em get caught. There will always be some of them out there. Chances are that if they're doing a lot of properties. They're bound to get caught sooner or later.

3. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are operating illegally, I think you have an obligation to report them. Have to be careful though, the state may not have the website updated that shows you who is licensed

4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

+1.
    I feel obligated to report unlicensed applicators to my inspector: Even ppl i suspect are unlicensed. It's not something I do all the time, but if I am being bid against by an unlicensed, I will report them. I don't consider it being a "taddle tail", it's just the right thing to do: The licensing process is there for a reason. Lack of knowledge and lows ball pricing go hand in hand.
    A licensed contractor will likely have a higher price most times, than an unlicensed, for obvious reasons. The accounts I bid against fellow licensed companies pay better, so you see what they are doing to market?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I would and do report such people. Be careful how you word things though. Maybe use words such as "suspect" and do not say things that you cannot fully confirm.

At 1st I felt like you do about being a squealer but I realized it is the only way something will change. I had a company/store in my town that has operated for years without licensing putting out homeonwner grade products until I reported them. For whatever reasons there is little enforcement. These people affect the industry we are trying to make a living out of. Sometimes I feel like it is a losing battle but I still report people.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Illegal (unlic) applicators are not going to get caught unless someone catches them at their game and turns them in. Most DOA's out there are way understaffed and could care less about trying to weed out unlicensed applicators, they don't have time for that. These dudes are then just free to go about spraying their walmart 2-4d on any lawn they can secure.

If you see the guy actually applying and is unlicensed, turn him in. Don't worry about retaliation from the illegal guy, he will never know who it is who turned him in, privacy law.

7. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Report them! If they don't want to spend the time and expense getting and maintaining certification, they don't need to be doing applications. I mean, good grief, I sat through 2 days of classes and took two tests, then $75 for the license, it's not too much to ask :confused:

8. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't go out of my way to turn them in, but if they are getting aggressive about picking up clients, then I would. I messed with 2,4-d on a few of my customers lawns for several months before getting my license. It allowed me to decide whether or not I wanted to pursue it anymore. Not saying I recommend it, but it was pretty harmless what I did. You going to turn in anyone with round up in their backpack and no license?

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Yes, I would turn in people spraying roundup. When I was just a mowing only operation I would spray gly in hard surface cracks. I didn't realize it was illegal but an enforcement guy checked me and gave me a warning ticket. So I did the right thing and got licensed.The theory that anyone can buy roundup and it is not "hurting" anything is flawed. If I went through the effort and cost of getting licensed it is not unreasonable to expect others in the same industry to tow the line also. The reality is homeowners or anyone can buy 99% of the products we use.

10. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

By the same theory, fellow drivers will be calling the police every time they suspect you are speeding. I do think everyone SHOULD be licensed but I am not going to go around turning people in because they are not.
    Posted via Mobile Device