1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Unlicensed LCO's advertising

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Triple R, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I have recently come across flyers from LCO's advertising mowing and other services including weed control and other pesticide apps. I checked the CDPR website to see if they are licensed and they aren't. I also found 2 companies in the yellow pages that advertise weed control but aren't licensed either.

What would you do?
    I plan on turning in any company or individual that advertises but aren't licensed for pest apps to the county ag commisioner. I am not going to report any that don't advertise otherwise I'd be turning in about 90% of the local LCO's and that's alot of people to have angry at you.

On a side note, last week I was driving down a 4 lane (highly traveled) street and I look over to a fellow lco's house and see him spraying his yard in short sleeve and shorts and of course no PPE.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would turn the unlicensed company in, the state should pay us a reward for each one we turn in! I saw a local guy spraying a soccer field in shorts once! what an idiot.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

rat them out.........

4. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I'd be rich and the inspectors would be doing a lot of overtime.

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm no snitch

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I say you have to follow the rules and so should they.
    You have to be licensed so should they especially if they are advertising it.I checked out a company solo op that was advertising in the paper full Landscaping new installs.I checked his contractors license # with the State board cuz the # looked funny to me and sure enough..the guy is NOT a licensed contractor and was using a random # he made up.I called him personally and told him if he diden;t pull that Cont # off his add or pull his add I was going to report him to the state.Haven't heard from him around here since.
    Hey if your going to compete with me that's just fine,I can handle some good competition..but if you are going to false advertise and lie to my potential clientele I am going to stop you in your tracks..I don't want people like that screwing up the neighborhood..If your gonna lie your gonna cheat and your gonna be a flake and do lousy work.

7. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

Call this other company to find out if they do the spraying themselves or sub it out. Just a thought. Maybe this guy is playing by the rules and using a licensed contractor or a licensed friend. :confused:

8. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Good call JT, that could be very embarrassing. Also if it just says weed control it doesn't have to mean herbicides. Pest control indicates spraying, unless they have a whole crew running around with nets all day long, which might be comical.

9. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I looked into subcontracting a couple years back when my previous employer filed a complaint against me with the county ag commisioner. Since I was there I started asking questions and I asked about doing sub work for other LCO's and thier response was that unless they are licensed they cannot be involved in any way. The only thing they can do is refer thier clients to someone. I also asked about posting signs after apps and they discouraged that also. I asked what about posting signs after apps for advertising purposes. They said that would be okay but to watch the wording on the sign as far as pesticides. I live in the second highest ag producing county in the nation so the county inspectors mainly deal with farmers and I don't know if the info they gave me is 100% correct. But requiring a lic. to sub out pest work sounds right. You can't run a construction bussiness sub all the work out and claim you don't need a lic. because your not doing the actual work. Anyone in CA know if the county inspectors are correct?

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

sounds silly to me, but in California, I believe anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.