Unlicensed Mow-Joes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 6'7 330, Nov 30, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Mow-Joe decides he want to start putting out a little fert-herbicide maybe even a bit fungicide.But Mow-Joe don't want to get the necessary certification's and knowledge.So he started applying applications ,unlicensed,uninsured and he start wanting advise form the guys who followed the rules paid the insurance etc.

Who is of the opinion, it is both irresponsible and morally wrong to advise unlicensed applicators? When you see a suspicious Mow-Joe applying pesticides and lawn care product’s do you turn them in?

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no bill, i don't turn them in. not yet, but anything can happen. do i think they are dangerous? yes, absolutely. if my certification has taught me nothing else, it has taught me safety of using pesticides. i believe everyone should have it.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I saw "another site" that had implimented a 'certified applicator only' forum. Where, in order to be allowed to view it or post in it, you needed to submit you license # and year of expiration. Certianly a great idea, but would be a nightmare for someone to keep track of all of everyones info and keeping it all up to date... Bill, soulds like a job on lawnsite for you!? :p

I think that there needs to be UNIFORMITY to the pesticide laws. Every state being different is bad enough in and of itself, then people stumble onto this national... um... GLOBAL forum and find good advice, but it may or may not pertain to them even just being a state over.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Most people that have been in this business and expect to stay in it for awhile do research about the industry. That how you become successful, if you stay ignorant of the work or industry your trying to work in you won't be in it very long. With that said any kind of research to expand or to better yourself as a landscaper or just a cutter and you can't help but run across info that says there are laws pertaining to the use of pesticides or chemicals. Its up to the individual to no the laws. If they choose not to or to disregard them, yes I will turn them in. Me and my family and hopefully for a few more generations would enjoy fresh water and living creatures not a poisoned wasteland by ignorant criminals

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all , my guess is that 90% of fert and ‘cides are unnecessary , done for profit .
    So , who’s screwing up the eco system , the planet .

If some one needs info on apps. & they seem like they are not gonna get a license , it seems the best we could do is help them do it right , cause they’ll do it any way , wrong too.
    Lets say it's our responsibility to help ‘em .

As far as turning someone in , I’m NO SNITCH , PERIOD .
    Being a snitch is a very good way to get hurt .
    Besides , the reason there are 4 weed control companies in my area is because one of them turned an unlicensed person in to the pest control commission & he got a license , so we now have 4 sharing what little work there is here .
    It took a while but I convinced him how stupid it was to turn someone in , HE”LL COMPETE AGINIST US on a much bigger level than he did before

6. olderthandirt

from here

I'm not there teacher or there momma so it not my responsability help them. Thats why they have classes and testing. Weedhead I said I'd turn them in and have, your screwing with my family when your appling with no knowledge. They want to get personal about it then we'll see who gets hurt and who stays hurt.

7. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

I won't go hunting for unlicenced companies. That is what we hired fert police to do. I will keep my nose in my own business unless I actually see someone breaking the law, I may have a word of advice with him then. But this turning in ignorant people is not fair. And the way the law looks at it, they were suppossed to know all these regulations from birth. There is no way anyone is going to be able to know all the rules, they change every day. Some of us are probably in violation of a dozen ordinances and don't even know it.

Any one know the difference between justice and compliance?

A court of justice would judge according to the evil intent of a person, say JoeMow went out and poured 24d in the river to kill the fish. He would be punished according to intent. Justice would be meted out and society saved from a malicious person.

But a court of compliance will prosecute based on non-compliance to a set of ordinances that some of us don't have a clue about yet; because they were drafted yesterday, regardless of whether our intent was good or not.

In the Old days we had justice, now we have compliance. I will not turn someone in unless I see him willfully breaking the law, and that would be after a few good warnings.

8. olderthandirt

from here

You have got to be kidding with you 1st comment as quoted!!!! You are the unlicenced company. You just were taught a lesson in another post. I'll just leave it at that, spanking you on the forum is to easy and gets boring.:dizzy:

9. windshadow

windshadow LawnSite Member

I my self recommend a company in my town for lawn applications that said I would like to know how many people here started out in there lawn biz with all the legal licenses and certificate's needed. not to mention insurance. I was able to start with the insurance and tax id and local business license's I need mainly do to the fact that I could afford it, many cannot and they are trying to work there way up just like most of you have done and I say most because most do not start out doing this stuff full time it is a part time deal then they get regular and get all the license's and permits and so on . My point is this you have to start some were and asking questions on how to do the job correctly is the place to start. I do not think for one min if you saw a home owner next to a job you are doing putting down pesticides or what ever on his own lawn that you would run to turn in him if you did that I am sure you loose the job you were on when you saw him. So how about getting off your high horses and help people out to get up the ladder just like many of you did when you were starting out.

10. olderthandirt

from here

Nope, not against the law for a home owner to apply.

Now consider yourself helped on your journey up the ladder:help: