Unloading debris from truck with a pick axe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Just found a new use for the pick axe.. It works great for pulling grass clippings / branches / sods / leaves out of the back of a pickup. Used to use a garden rake of potato rake but this is alot faster if its all compacted. A dump would be ideal but gotta work with what I have right now. Just thought Id pass it along.
  2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

good idea. i use layers of tarp. then when i unload i peel off one layer at a time. have to make sure not to load any one layer too heavy.
  3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

cultivators work well too.
  4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

If there is a loader operator where you dump ask if they will help you out. Tie a rope to an old tire and put the tire at the front of your bed or trailer after loading every thing on top of the tire and if the loader person is willing just hook the rope to his loader and pull out the load that way.
  5. Canadian GreenScape

Im liking that idea! Could even tie the rope off somewhere and drive away (hopefully pulling the load out) Gonna try that this week. :D
  6. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Canadian GreenScape,
    You should consider purchasing the load handler. Its a mat that you lay in your truck and then roll up with a crank handle to unload. I use mine for grass, mulch, leaves, loam, sods - or whatever else I haul. It has a capacity of 2000 pounds. It is one of the best investments I made (about $100) and I use it everyday. Saves a lot of shoveling out of the truck.

check it out: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...06970&PHOTOS=on&productId=624156&categoryId=0
  7. Canadian GreenScape

Ive seem those around but was never sure if they worked well. Ill def check it out. $100 would pay off soon enough with the time and effort it saves. thanks!
  8. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

just be carefull that you don't swing it too hard that it goes through the truck bed!!!!

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I use a pitchfork. Although it works well, it still sucks doing it manually! Reeeaaallyyyy need that dump insert!! Think I'm gonna go count my change jar and see if I'm getting close, LOL!

I got a loadhandler last fall and I tried it when I had a leaf box and vac on my truck, but the pile was too big and heavy. The tarp would slide out from underneith.

I will be trying it again this season with smaller loads of stuff to see how it does.
  10. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

The load handler works really well if you have one of those plastic bed liners in the truck bed. I just bought a newer truck with a bed liner and the mat cranks out alot better (compared to the truck without the bed liner)