Unloading leaves from pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevytrucks84, Oct 6, 2004.

1. chevytrucks84

chevytrucks84 LawnSite Member

This year we (the company i work for) is going to try something new when we bag leaves so we dont have to run two trucks and trailers to work. In the past we had one trailer with all the mowing equipment and another trailer with the leaf sucker and a box on it. This year we are putting the vacum on the toung of the trailer and blowing it into the back of the truck. We will obviously be disconnecting the trailer but I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on the easiest way to unload the truck, we have one of the load handler things that are supposed to work well but we havne't had it out of the box yet. Didn't know if anyone had tried one of these or not. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Thanks alot
    Patrick

2. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Someone just mentioned that, line the bed with a tarp and then pull out the tarp.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Get a dump insert and set you leaf vac like this.

Grain Truck Complete.jpg

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

A guy here turns the chute around on his leaf-loader, then blows the leaves out of his truck.

5. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

Until I can afford the $6000 dump bed I want, I have been forced to find alternative ways to dump my grass and leaves. I like layering tarps every foot or so.

6. minerapex

minerapex LawnSite Member

I have used the load handler and that will do the job, in fact I still have and use mine. Depending on what kind of truck you have you might be able to just make the bed dump. Kits for that are only like 800-900 dollars.

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

get a piece of plywood 1" thick smaller than the front of the box put 1 eyelid bolt close to the corner with a piece of metal on both sides acting as a washer . then connected chains from each eyelid all the same length. then attached the four to one long chain and then you can put the chain around a tree or hook to a tractor and just pull the board out and the leaves come with it

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting idea, but not much help if one dumps the leaves at a site where there are no trees handy for such things, like a municipal or county dump.

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker, that rig, trailer and all, HAS to be forty feet long. Can you actually drive that rig without running over something 'cause the loader blocked your view?

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

well some times they have tractors there or if it isnt to heavy can wrap the chain around limbs and crap that is in the pile. i have used this system on removing leaves from a 20 ft box trailer works great