Unloading pickup truck with leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Barrett Landscaping, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

just bought a 18hp billy goat truck loader:cool2:. I will be loading the leaves into my 2002 ford f250. the only problem is that i do not have a dump bed. does anyone have a way to unload the leaves besides by hand? I was thinking about making a "skid" and putting it in the front of the truck with a rope and tying it off to a tree and having it pull the leaves out as you drive away. would this work? has anyone had experience doing this? I plan on getting a dump trailer for next year. any input would be great!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Pallets on the floor of the bed with chain fed under them with a tail left to hook onto.

3. Barrett Landscaping

hpw would putting them on the floor instead of upright towards the cab work?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Upright is better, but you have to make like a butterfly knot setup so it pulls out straight and doesn't turn and bind on you. If you can imagine like a 4 point harness to lift a pallet, that's what I'm referring to. If you have a chain or cable, it can just rest on the floor, because when tension is pulled on it, it will cut right through the debris to form a straight line to pull.

5. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

I always put a tarp underneath my loads before I had a dump trailer. Depending on how heavy it was I could usually pull it off. But that would be using your hands! haha.

6. Barrett Landscaping

runner, that was exactly waht i was thinking with cabels. jws, there would be no way that i could use a tarp on 1000lbs+ of leaves :dizzy:

7. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the load handler for under $200,it's a heavy duty tarp with a crank that attaches to your tailgate,it works great.You can use it to unload dirt,gravel logs etc.The only problem I have with it is if the load gets caught behind your wheel wells the tarp will leave the load behind,so just clean out behind the wheel wells and it will work fine.There are lots of threads on here discussing the pros and cons,but if you don't want to spend the $ on a dump insert,it's the way to go.

8. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

True! :laugh:

9. mvp landscaping llc

mvp landscaping llc LawnSite Member

I also purchased the load handler for under $200 from Northern and it works wonders. Best money I ever spent, time saver and back saver on heavy loads of dirt and stone. I plan on using it alot for my fall cleanups this year. Wish I bought it earlier in the season to help with some spring cleanups and mulch jobs.

10. Barrett Landscaping

i have looked into that but it seems too flimsy, especially from what i have heard from other ls members. besides it wouldnt work with wet leaves because they are too slick. I dont feel that it will be able to get grip to unload 1,000+ lbs of leaves