Unloading truck leaf box

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A1 Lawn@Landscapes, Nov 16, 2003.

1. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Is there a better way to unload leaves from a pickup ? I have a leaf box built with 4x8 plywood that packs extremely tight when full. I am using a brand new BillyGoat 11hp truckloader that works very well. My loadhandler does not work well because the leaves pack behind the wheel wells. When I drop my tailgate and open the barn doors on my box, I am seeing leaves packed tighter than a bulls a!!. It amazes me how tight it is packed, kind of reminds me of a bail of hay without the twine.The whole spade fork and garden rake thing takes us at least 15 minutes and gets old quick.
    Is anyone else in a similar situation ?

2. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How about this $2195.00 from E-Z Dumper.

my pictures0002.jpg

3. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Looks great

But I am in the last season for the truck I have now. Looking to buy around Christmas Eve to get my best deal !!!!!! Then if I get a deal on a pickup, I will get a dumper.

I am just seeing If I missed something as far as unloading a regular pickup.

4. PKB005

PKB005 LawnSite Member

wow, i can't beleive you unload a leaf vac truck by hand. i have two systems on f-350 dumps and can't imagine trying to pry the load out. it dumps like a pressed cube. try to get an inexpensive dump truck.....why buy another pickup..i see no advantage

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Try putting some plywood in front of the wheel wells, sort of box out the space, so the leaves won't pack in there. Then put the load-handler canvas on top of the plywood. You will lose some space, but that will be more than made up for in time saved at the dump.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Or do what I did and go with a dump trailer.

7. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

After 5 years of cussin, I just got a dump truck. I am very excited. Not only will leaf removal be a breeze, but in the heavy spring, most days we can have a full truck load of grass clippings. And not to mention, when we do small landscaping jobs, it will be soo much easier for rock, mulch, or dirt. YEAAAHHHH!!! Sorry, I am just soo happy!!:)

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I take my leaf vac, turn the shute around, and suck them out and toss them into a pile. It's a lot easier than breaking my back trying to dig that pile out.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

A1, I'm not only in a "similar" situation, I'm in the EXACT same situation. I also have a a leaf box on the truck and will be using an 11hp loader to fill it, and a Loadhandler to unload it.

I just finished the leaf box tonight. And the whole time I was saying to my wife (extra pair of hands) "I sure hope this LoadHandler thing works!!".

I'm starting clean ups this week, so I haven't tried it all out yet.
    And your post doesn't have me feeling too good about it now.

What happens when you start cranking the handle? Does it slide out from underneath? Or aren't you able to even turn the handle at all?

I was thinking of putting something behind the wheel wells like tvov said. But I'm not sure what I could use. Maybe a piece of 8" round PVC pipe, cut to contour the wheelwell a bit.

Did you put your sheets of plywood on the inside or outside of the upright studs? I put mine on the outside, now I'm concerned that may have been a mistake. These will probably make it harder to get the load out.

Oh well, we'll see what happens this week. Let me know if you come up with anything to make it easier, and I'll do the same.

And to those that said get a dump, yeah we know!!!!:cry:
    Next season my first purchase is an EZ Dump insert!! Just can't swing it now $$.