Unnecessary story

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Sep 4, 2005.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I was watching The Beverly Hillbilly's the TV series, ..... Yes, The Beverly Hillbilly's the TV series :jester: , Milburn Drysdale is my hero and I wish I was that rich so I could be as stupid as Jethro. :blob3:
    So anyway, Jed and Jethro walked into an art studio in their everyday duds. The curator immediately assumed these hillbilly's were lawn boys and gardeners. He began barking orders and making demands. Well, of course Jed and Jethro became confused and ended up mowing the properties that this guy wanted, but they were stupid enough to mow half of a golf course.

Unnecessary story but you might be interested. If this story doesn't interest you, then don't read it. But you will never know if you are interested till you read it.................. hmmmmmmmmmmm

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

whats the off topic point to this off topic story

3. yrdandgardenhandyman

from midwest

Well geez. Didn't you read the whole thing?
    I guess it's about LCO image.
    Oh yeah. This is off topic, maybe.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for clarifying your post. i might walk into a nice place we mow or just anywhere in general. people look at me like im some dirty bum. i laugh back cause i usually make more a day than they do in a couple weeks. :p

it took me forever to find a girlfriend that liked the dirty lawn mowing Brian that had no idea what i made. as for all the women to turn me down in the past... poor, sorry suckers. :p

happy labor day :bday: :drinkup:

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, people assume we are poor white trash! Look in the checkbook though!!

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't look in mine!! I like the idea of people thinking I have no education and no money (at least residential customers) they are usually a bit more generous if they are under this impression.

I don't purposely try to mislead or give this impression, but do have a couple of customers that seem to stereotype me this way. These residential accounts have paid some decent money for services this year and seem quite happy. payup and I'm quite happy as well win-win.

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

from midwest

You mean like the ones who assume you have to make payments on your equipment and that there is no way you could have come up with that much cash. This one guy sees a piece of equipment getting beat up, he comes up with a project that pays for the new equipment. The poor guy passed away though. He always wanted me to be on call. He always called on Thursday at 4:00 pm to ask me to mow next Monday. Usually I don't let my clients tell me when to mow and I don't work without a schedule. The thing here was that he always wanted me to mow on Monday so I just put him in the schedule and just let him go through the motion of calling and leaving a message. I guess he liked the illusion of control and he also was determined to give me business advice. Some of it was good advice. You see, he was a retired bank president and sat on their board. Sounds like a pita but he was actually a very good customer. He always gave me at least a $20.00 tip. payup

I think he understood greed. :angel: :angel:

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly ones like that and the ones that see you out there doing your thing to make their property look good and actually come out tell you they feel bad for you having to work so hard (don't they realize you are used to it and may have employees working at another place ;) ?) then give you a cold drink, pay on time, don't b!tch about the bill, and sometimes even kick a bit extra your way. Not to make this political, but these are the folks that usually sit to the left, and easily place labels on people without actually knowing anything about them.

9. yrdandgardenhandyman

from midwest

Had a customer, yesterday, who came out and said he thought we should quit mowing because it was too hot. :cool: I guess he just didn't want me wowing on Saturday. But then, it was his idea to pay $80.00 for every 10 days for less than an acre instead of 40 for every 7. He set the price. He's also a lawyer. It's the only 10 day account I have left. But it pays well even though it throws me into an occasional Saturday. But then, with Labor Day I did a few of my Monday yards. :drinkup: :sleeping: Hey. I'm a laborer too.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

So you say you walk around dressed like a hillbilly????? Oh i seen the show you are talking about