Unorthodox sales and marketing plan IS working!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Unk, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Unk

Unk LawnSite Member

Its sad that i have to conceal my identity on a professional industry forum, but I must in order to share this information. We have worked out an unorthodox strategic marketing plan that has been in place for 5 days now. The closure rate is HUGE when we look at the big picture. Sadly, sharing these things on this website turns out the negative people in this industry that turn away others with great ideas. I have posted ideas here before, including a brief version of this idea, and was bashed. Several people in messaged me for thoughts on my ideas and I shared. I want to share this with those that want to read it. If this does not interest, hold your negative thoughts and allow others to use their own mind to prosper. Our demographics are not what everyones else is, but the plan works.

We service a community of approximately 25,000 middle class homes in a master planned community 30 miles from a major US city. The new home construction rate continues to grow with approximately 2,000 home in the construction and planning phases.

COMPETITION:
    The majority of our competition is LCOs that are owned and operated by Illegals, or Legal LCO's that operate with illegal aliens or H2B employees. (Note- We will not consider H2B workers because there are TOO MANY US citizens trying to feed their own family legally.)

PLAN:
    Our marketing plan for new customer acquisition is simple. FREE mow. Not after 6 weeks, or the end of the season. Your first mow, agree to use us or not, is FREE. This is where many of you scoff. This is how we do it.

Do you remember being 12, 13, 14 years old and in need of cash? How did you do it? You grabbed your dads mower and you knocked, door to door. It worked. Though at the time it was $10 or $15 dollars, it worked. You made some money. We do the same thing. Not for $10 or $15 but for our rate. $25. Many of you jump at that. "Thats a Lowballer"!!! No it isn't. Its doing business within our overhead and still operate a substantial income at $25.

Many of you scoff at the sight of unloading for $25. Are plan isn't to unload for $25. We unload for $150! 6 accounts, all neat to or very near to each other. We run 3 guys and complete our lots at an average greater than 3 per our.

Back to the plan. We saturate the area with professional business brochures. Not, "Hi, I printed these on my computer this morning" flyers. They are very affordable. $450 for 4000 delivered. Never left the house. Through a free lancer website we found our graphic designer that charged us a VERY low rate to design out brochures. After branding our name into the mind of the residence, we began to work. We received several calls and did what it took to close the deals. Next was, "Thank you. We will begin full service of your residence next week on XXXday. We would like to come out tomorrow to provide toy with a free service this week. We are also going to provide free service to your neighbors. If you know them or talk to them, let them know we will be coming by" Now remember, the neighbors have already got us in their mind because the received a brochure a few days earlier.

The next day we sen a crew of three out to the residence to provide them a free cut. What it has also done is put us working there where we haven't previously worked, and gives us the chance to work for their neighbors also. Most are excited to see us. This gives us a chance to show our work, but also creates leads that we can try to close later for those that don't choose us today. We now know who lives in that house, if they do it on their own or have an LCO currently, and allows us to contact them later. When they decide at 105 degrees that they don't want to do it, they know to call us.

This technique also gets us very close to our goal of a six resident stop. using this technique we are closing GREATER than 50% of our free services. We were hoping for 20% and work the rest through the sales team later. This is working. The negative people are going to scoff at this. thats fine. 35 accounts received, from 3 guys working their tales off for 5 days last week. The negative people are going to say these new customers are going to leave. I say i'll betcha they don't. Customer service, quality professional performance, professional image, professional fleet (not your pickup with a sticker).

We are taking business from other LCOs. We are offering a lower rate. We are also making great business. I know that the bashing will begin. Those of you without the vision will find some tiny negative thing that "wont work". Im not posting this to hear your rants. Its sad that such a professional site for our industry is stuck with people like that simply bashing the plans of other LCOs. Remember Justmowit? I do! Take what you want from what I have said, but we are growing quick. We are acquiring new customers at a crazy astonishing rate. We are not looking for 20 or 200 new customers this season. We are looking for 1000. Again, my demographics allow this pace. My business plan is ready for 1000 more customers. You can use this same plan to get 20 new customers though. You can gain 100 new customers this way. Put your mind to it, see the end result before you start working towards it, and bust your ass!!

2. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I'll be the first. You're FOS

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, this didn't take no stroke of genius on my part either.

Although I have to admit, this part could well be true.

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

like Deja'vu all over again....

You're not the first to do this....

5. lone wolf

lone wolf LawnSite Member

I am 34, been in business for 4 years in season. Like many of you, I began cutting grass with my dad's push mower. Weekends I would be pushing that mower up and down th eblock cutting grass. 20-25 years ago, I made $10 - $15 or so a yard. You you are talking doing them for FREE? I do understand your business idea, it is advertising, getting people to see your work. I can even understand the $25 a yard. What I can't understand is why any LCO is not charging at least $35. We have guys in St. Paul charging $10 - $60 per cut, that is a huge difference. What I am saying is this, while I don't agree with your adertising, why on earth would you help to drive our price?

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not going to bash, however, what I will ask is that in 6-8 weeks please come back to this thread and let us know whether your hunch that your plan will work ... actually does work ... and that the new customers you gained at the low price are actually staying with you !!

7. Trader Rick

Trader Rick LawnSite Member

Congratulations!
    You have proven that the Entrepreneurial spirit, brain storming mentality & wont do what everyone else does attitude is still alive and well.
    Who cares what every one on this or any other place has to say about how you run your business. Are you a low baller, Id say NO, Do you have control of your overhead, Id say you sound like you do, and the six accounts per stop, OUT STANDING. In an industry that accepts 14% profit as good (per an overpaid business consultant whom was laughed out of the office) I would say you are looking good for your demographic. :weightlifter:

8. weasel

weasel LawnSite Member
    from 5

Ok I 'll go with this business plan and say it will gain you accts. However, what was your operating cost this week and in the weeks to come? At what percentage will you break even or profit according to your plan? You mention your an LCO so you could pick up additional work besides mowing which will be profit, but maybe those clients will be looking for low rates. How will you manage 1000 accts according to the plan and continue to provide Landscape service? Do you have that much equip and employees or would this be bought and new hires.If so that's alot of new training. Not bashing I would just like to know more. Good luck

9. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

i might take ur plan is that ok?

10. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the great information. Could you private message me with your address so I can send a check for that great advice?