1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unprofessionalism killing the industry!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, May 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen time and time again about posts about this customer doing this and this customer doing that. Many members have posted revenge "techniques" to get back at these customers and not to my surprise a handful of members agreeing with the posts on using profanity with customers and tactics on getting back at them. What is it doing for the rest of us as an industry? I'll tell you... It is hurting us. We complain how a lot of customers do not see us as professionals and do not want to pay professional pricing. I wonder why? All I can say is ...If you want to be treated like a professional then act like one.
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

no better way said .....we should only expect to be treated as we treat others ....n' if the occasional #$%@hole jumps out ...just move on :->
  3. i agree. however there are some people who you are nice to, really kiss their a$$ when you are trying to get the work, you start and they are all over you for this that and the other thing. not all people are great to work for. you gotta keep that in mind. i love workin for most of my customers and never badmouth them or anything. in fact i praise them in conversations with other customers. like " i do work at this place out here and they tell me that they are very happy with my work and what not." never get into the paying thing unless it is with a friend of mine who has a business of his own. cause that is just in our best interest. but there are some people who try to suck you into doing things for free, or whatever. so it isnt just us.
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you 100%. However I doubt that the unprofessional LCO's will become professional by being lectured. What needs to happen is for them to see the difference, or actually see what it's like for them to act like that. I had a similar experience. I saw one fellow do something (cut corners) that I was doing and I saw how bad it came off. After that, I never did it again. I always strive to present the most professional appearance and interact with clients in the same manner. Should we have to part company, it stays business, it doesn't get personal, and I always try to make sure that the customer is taken care of, even if we part company. What these guys don't realize, it would seem to me, is that yes, they are out on their own, but they are still representing us as a whole while they're out there. And don't kid yourself, there are folks that know the difference between a professional company and one that's, let's say, not exactly on the up and up.
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Stop right there...That is what I'm addressing here...there is not "but"s or "however"s about any situation about being professional. It is like in "Road House".."I don't care if he spits in your face..walk him out the door, but be NICE"
  6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. There is a definite a certain mentality toward us. I quit working for a customer who made a reference to us as Lawn Monkeys, because any monkey could do my job. I said fine, get a monkey to do it. It makes me sick to see what some of these guys pass off as work. They mow right over trash, blow clippings into the street or storm drain, spray herbicides all over on windy days, and then wonder why some people won't take them seriosly. Go figure.

The worst part is that the main people making the industry look bad just don't get it.
  7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

unfortunately the job of landscaper/lawn maintenance has a negative stigma.and we will probably not see the respect from the general public that those of us who attempt to be professional deserve.so no matter how much we try to be "professional" (image,insurance,training,etc,etc)it's going to take a loooooong time before we're recoginzed as a whole (green industry trade) as any sort of professional in the majority of the public eye. we can complain all we want about scrubs ,un-professionals and the like but i really don't see it happening any time soon.this industry is looked down upon by the public plain and simple.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, umprofessionalism is killing the industry and making people think "gee, we should mow our own lawn instead of having that guy that sucks mow it for an extremely high rate". Well, I only have one thing to say about this. People get the wrong idea about the real professionals when the guys that don't act or show professionalism start messing around. On the other hand, every LCO would be the same. Nobody would do a better job than someone else and you might not get as much business. I don't if this is completely true for you guys but for me, this is TOTALLY TRUE. There are so many guys that show no professionalism it makes me sick. BUT, I get more jobs for it. My name is getting out, the true "scrubs" are starting to show and my work is standing out. I'm trying to make the biggest impression on my small town and it's working so far. I just think that if it weren't for the "scrubs" out there, all the professionals work wouldn't stand out as much. Anybody agree with me?
  9. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

If you are not going to be professional in this biz please move on. I don't need that kind of disposition reflecting back on me just because I am in the business as well.

You have to be professional in ALL aspects...attitude, appearance, your people skills, everything.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I hope my competition continues to be unproffessional and do a bad job and cuss their customers out and not show up on the job on time. So when they get fired for all that I get their business. Guess it depends on how you look at it. The idea of trying to help your competition improve doesnt seem very bright to me. One bad apple doesnt reflect badly on the industry as a whole because customers know from experience that they can find better service but most just dont want to pay good money for it until they have had enough of the bad service
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.