Unprotected Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcfetrid, Jun 24, 2005.

1. mcfetrid

mcfetrid LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Anyone ever, from experience or heard anything about, lawn fungus or pests being transferred from lawn to lawn by commercial mowers mowing from lawn to lawn?? -Matt

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

your deck.

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

It is rare, but Yes, using an unprotected deck can spread deceases. use a little common sense and you should be safe.

Anything on the blades are usually wiped clean by the turf blades. To infect a lawn you would have had to just finish cutting an infected area then proceed to an infected area. But normally the blades will be cleaned by the outer area of the infected area before jumping from area to area. Then any of that make any sense :).

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes... I've seen these idiots do it a lot in the last few wet seasons we have had.
    They don't have a clue and I just cringe....

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

It happens and Yes I have it happen every year with red thread. Just treat and go on. I find that the extra time that it takes to clean the deck when unneeded costs you more than just treating.

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

What do you do differently?

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes diseases can be spread from infected lawns to uninfected lawns,Pathogenic organisms mainly need an abundance of wet conditions,poor drainage and poor air circulation to thrive and grow.Soggy,
    water soaked soil is a perfect incubator and environment for disease.
    If you think a lawn you just mowed was infected,then sterilize your blades with lysol.listerine,rubbing alcohol or bleach before mowing your next one.

8. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

Jeese this "unprotected mowing thing is like un protected sex

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Yes, they are called CTLD's (Commercially Transmitted Lawn Diseses). You can actually go to the drug store and purchase deck condoms. :)
    But seriously...yes I've heard of it.