1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Unqualified "techs"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, May 24, 2012.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure if this is a localized phenomenon but it seems like there are a lot of companies sending "techs" out without a clue. I had a guy helping me part time this spring that was probably just above a helper, maybe. He got a full time job with an big landscape outfit and they gave him a truck and a helper. I wish him the best of luck but I feel bad for the customers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately right now, all of the landscapers that throw the irrigation maintenance into their contract and they are out trying to get anyone they can to put on a job.

They offer a little more money, blah, blah then send Jr. down the road when done with him. Then Jr. comes back asking for his job saying "you were right, I am sorry, I really want to work here and I should have listened".

We work for a few of the largest landscapers in town, but the other big boys are constantly try to get us to work for them and this is where they learn that irrigation is not so easy. They also learn a good irrigation service staff can make them or break them.

It is kind of payback time right now and fun! We have that bids almost any HOA system at $150 for Spring Service and they sell it that includes repairs!! We normally get them back, and the management company has their tail between their legs at that point. Especially now with all the Backflow testing being throw in and all my guys are certified. Management managers love the one call /one email vendor.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You're a better man than me, I've seen those little dorks come and go and realized they are going to try to get through life shucking and jiving; I have no use for them and do not wish them any luck. :nono:

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Irrigation Tech around here is a license. You have to go through a course and pass a test. Just like anything else though paper knowledge and practical knowledge are different things.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Not a big deal knowing little, it can be learned from the right contractor. The drugs (meth) were the worst ones for my (ex) employees. Alcohol and women problems came in second and third, and by then they were worthless.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

A tech is no better than his education. if mentored properly he will be fine. the worst tech in the world may have been a contender if given good tools and instruction. i bet most of the older members were self taught and don't know any better when it comes to passing info along
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

The thing is I was just giving him work when I had it for him. He had been looking for full time work I just didn't have it for him. So he applied a this place expecting to just be a helper but they put him in a truck doing service.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I sat in on the tech course to get CEU's for my irrigator's license. A little expensive but I did want to know what they were teaching the guys.
    Not too impressed.

9. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I am not too impressed with the products of these courses either. They get to me with their brand new license more clueless then when they went in.

There needs to be a journeymen period added to the LI, and to the Tech. An unlucky home owner just had to pay be to come in and rip out their brand new crap system and replace it. You could tell the guy came in with decent intentions, but he messed it up bad. His LI was the highest # I have seen yet.

I would think around 2 yrs training at a minimum before they let you run your own company. Maybe 6mo. for techs since they work under LI's.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo .... and practical knowledge means nothing if that knowledge is derived from bad practices, unsubstantiated opinions/anecdotal evidence, etc ... basically built on a foundation of bullshiit. If I had a nickel for every "30 year veteran" that didn't have a f'n clue ..... :hammerhead: