Unreal estmate

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by larryinalabama, Jul 2, 2013.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im working on a customers property and the neighbor asks if I could do some work for her. I said Im booked up for a couple of weeks but would come look at her hosue. The home is super nice on the water, 2 real nice boats on her boat dock, brand new Mercedes in front, not the cheap model eighter. What she wanted done is a bunch of trimming on the side of a slope.
    So I really have no Idea how long it would take so I told her I would do it by the hour. She asked how much and I said 25$ which is real cheap.
    Well with that I thought her jaw was going to hit the ground and her eyes literally pop out of her head. She says Ill have to ask my husband, I say I have to go finish the neighbors house.

Some people just seem to get on my nerves, I don't think even painters will work for 25$ per hour.

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Wow 25 is cheap!!! I was at 35/hour in my painting/carpentry days.

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

tried that approach for years..telling folks I'd cut it the first time at a particular rate and be able to tell them what it would cost normally and they look at you like your gonna sandbag it for hours and nap in the truck while the clock runs...
    I hated it so much...

these days I use a sq ft price roughly averaged with how much time I think it will take-

4. larryinalabama

Im generally running at 35 to 50 per hour, its nearly impossible to get a "per hour " trimming job here at 50$ per hour.

I almost alaways bid by the job if I know how long something will take.

I was surprised by the potential customer, it took me off guard. Im telling ya I think she expected around 5 bucks per hour.

5. larryinalabama

Like I say its not my standard business practice, the job was real odd due to the slope everything is on. Ive bid some of that stuff around 200$ thinking I could finish it in 5 hours and wound up spending 2 days.

Also the job is a ONE time job.

Also your right the lady may think I would "sandbag" the job even thought Im already overbooked. Had it not been for my customer introduceing "us" I wouldn't even have bothered to give the bid because Im already overbooked

6. TX Easymoney

Sorry, I didn't read the first part...or the one time job that I must do because the person has to have it done now , which I hate--

I had someone tell me $15 was too much to cut a Pyracantha hedge...their kids called me up and asked me to come back and take a look again as it was really only a $5 job... I'll be right there, wait on me!!:rolleyes:

7. larryinalabama

That's why I don't do many 1 time jobs anymore, starting out I took anything I could get. No way im I gonna set aside one of my customers for 200$ one time job. 2000 I may take my chances.

8. TX Easymoney

regular work is where its at...folks all the time want you to sqeeze in their friend last moment for a deal...

9. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Go buy you own d_____ trimmer then lady!

10. larryinalabama

Shes got one but she got a rash from working on the slope and had to go to 3 different doctors.