1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unreal what is going on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davis Lawn Mowing LLC., Sep 22, 2004.

1. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

A good buddy of mine from high school who I use to party with back in the day who threw me some business this spring gave me a call about an hour ago. Another guy we went to school with started up about 4 years ago and got going pretty good. Well my buddy found that he had a couple commercial accounts cancel out on him out of the blue this summer. He didnt really think much of it because he was truly cutting back on his mowing aspect and just focusing on landscaping and landscaping material sales to the public. Anywho, he gets a call from one of his commercials accounts, all he has his mowing crew do is commercial accounts, has 58 of them. They call up and say they got an estimate from a guy we know and he is $100 cheaper per week. He said the guy showed up right after his guys had left! So my friend takes note of this and has his guys watching for this guy while they are out the next couple of days. Yesterday, about a week after getting the heads up, they see the guy circling the area. So when they finish up and leave, they circle the area and find the guy pulling into the lot. They watch him survey the property and decide to go for it. They stop, get out, ask tell the little SOB they know his little scam on other LCOs, popping in with a cheap estimate after seeing another LCO leave. I mean, apparently they scared the living hell out of this guy. He was backpedalling and what not and really had nothing to say for himself. So my buddy was just giving me a heads up to be on the lookout for this guy while Im out and about in case he is scoping me and my weekly properties. My buddy thinks he has probably been doing this for a while because he noticed his accounts getting smaller and smaller over the years and some dropping service mid-year and it pretty much started right around the time this guy came into business. I've heard of the guy passing out flyers and of course your customers getting one or putting them up while you are even there on site doing your job, but scoping LCOs while they are working and then going in and making a lowballing bid to steal an account away seems bush to me, real bush.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't condone violence. but I do condone respect.

and going behind an established LCO trying to twist away the business with a lowball offer is not being very respectful.

I know a young man locally that learned about respect the hard way.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The guy probably drives around until he sees someone mowing, what they've got for equipment, and how long it takes for them to take care of the property.

Then he's got pretty much an exact estimate on how long it takes to mow the property.
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

bush? respect?

this guy is a business man! in america an individual has the RIGHT to bid on your work! why would you knock a guy for doing what everybody in here did to start his own company? why would it matter if he walked right after you did the job or 3 days later?

you guys need to think more about your own companys issues rather than worrying about your competition!
  5. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I always felt you are going to run into people like this no matter what. If you have a good relationship with your client, offer him a fair price and excellent service and make sure he stays happy, what do you have to worry about? if the guy is low balling, chances are he will not be in business long. The guy has a right to pass out quotes all day long (free enterprise) If the customer leaves you for a lower price so be it, move on, if he comes back- add a few extra bucks down the road. Just my opinion- Take care, Blair

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Norm Al,

There is a thing called "common curteousity," (something that you're seeing less of these days) whether it's in business matters, family matters or whatever. Sure, it's perfectly legal to do what this "low-rent" fellow is doing, but so are many things that violate the unwritten law of common curteousy. To come behind someone like this and low ball is the equivelent of another guy asking your girlfriend out for a date and him knowing that you're going steady.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sure he is. we all are. so you would understand there is nothing in the world wrong with having a "buisness conversation" about "respect" with the lowballer.

8. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

It's all part of doing business, and every type of business faces it.

Do what you can to emphasize service and quality, let the lowballers have the accounts that just want a low price (and don't care if it's a sloppy job)

Remember, there are tons of businesses that go under every year because they offer neither low price, NOR good quality and service!
  9. common curteousity

Is this Lawnsite or "blue collar television"

That is a good one.....I believe the correct terminology is "common courtesy"

Before any of you guys bash me for "spelling police"....keep in mind that this isn't just a spelling error.

The correct definition of what he spelled is as follows: common curteousity....an inquisitive, polite behavior.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

No there isn't, not in business. Do you think Wal-mart or Microsoft are Courteous? No and that's why they are where they are.