Unreal!! You will not believe this service!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Redd, Apr 27, 2005.

?

What should the comp/corp do???

Poll closed May 27, 2005.
  1. Reimburse 37-42 cents per mile

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Reimburse 37-42 cents per mile + lost wages

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Reimburse fuel costs

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Several hundred dollar gift card or similar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Find and deliver another unit with substantial savings

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Redd

Redd LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Read this actual event that occurred to me. What do you think this company should do?
    On Tue I called a dealership (large and well known) to inquire about a used hydro walk behind they had. I told them that I lived 550miles away and that I would be there on Friday morning. The salesman took all my info and said he would hold it for me. I asked if he needed anything else to hold it and he said no.
    I arrive on Fri prior to them opening and waited on the salesman. During this time the sales mgr approaches me and asks if I needed help. I told him I was there to pick up the used hydro. He said he sold the unit yesterday and no one told him that it was on hold. He did not offer to do anything for me driving 1100 miles round trip. He said he was going to call the salesman that put it on hold for me to inquire about the situation. The sales mgr went to the back office to call.
    During this time the salesman I had originally talked to walked in. I made contact with him and told him I drove 550 miles one way to purchase the unit. He said that he told the other salesman and sales mgr that it was on hold but "they sold it from under me". Can you believe this???!!! The sales mgr just a few minutes before told me that no one told him it was on hold?!!
    No one called me or left any messages prior to me driving 1100 miles round-trip!!!
    What do you think (if anything) this company/corp should do? 37-42cents per mile?; reimburse for time lost at work? Your opinion will help me when dealing with their customer service dept. Thanks

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, it's a lesson learned.

You've got to realize that unless that mower was free, you probably paid about $100 in fuel, @ 20 mpg at $2 / gallon, plus if you can make $60 / hour, on average, at 60 mph, that trip would have been almost 12 hours, for another $720.

That's $800 that could have been put in a mower a whole lot closer to you somewhere.

Next time give them a credit card number if it's that great of a deal.

3. Redd

Redd LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Lesson learned, but that is no way to do business!! Reference the credit card, I asked and the salesman said it was not needed. Unfortunately my truck only gets 14mpg. Thanks for your reply.

4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

You're right that is no way to do business. I wouldn't take my business there anymore if I was you. Don't you have any other dealers nearby? 550 miles is really far! I have at least two Exmark dealers within 20 minute drive of my home.

5. Redd

Redd LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I will not go there again...I was raised around the area of this dealership and my grandparent had made his ag purchases at this place. NO MORE!

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know at Sears when you order something and go to pick it up and if they call you and tell you it's there and it's not they pay you mileage. (sorry for all the and's) . I can't remember how much it was but i was surprised when they offered.

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Always make some sort of "Down-Payment"[ even if its non-refundable] at least that would show that a "Sale" was pending on your part, give you credibility in court if thats the way it goes....I too drive up to 12hrs 1-way for a bargin, have gotten some very good deals, the only people that seem to respect a verbal agreement are those of us in this field. I met another landscaper on e-bay, no-one bid on his Lesco Renovator, I didnt have the money that early in the spring, told him so & offered to meet his reserve.He held it for me for 2wks until i could make the trip to OH, threw in extra parts [ $300.00 worth]he had, we talked , it was a "Great" experance, his renovator was in mint condition & he gave it to me for $1400.....but if he was a "Dealer", I would have made some sort of payment?....definatly a lesson learned.

8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would stop trusting salesmen.