unreasonable customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 25, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow! dudes, u cant believe what i went through today. lady calls for cleanup, i go to give estimate, im thinking, "there is almost nothing here to clean". so, i explain to her we have a minimum $150 for spring cleanups, she says fine, go 4 it. im thinkin 45 min tops. so, we blow out beds, etc., do a standard cleanup, it looked good. i knock, to say we r done, shes like, '"it looks terrible". now i cannot believe my ears. shes looking down, at every little piece of debris, i mean stuff like a quarter inch long, and says she wants every single particle off the lawn, she figured it would take like 4 hrs. she wants thatch, everything cleaned. im like,"huh". i explain this is our standard cleanup. she says its not acceptible. at this point i explain id like to go over the lawn one more time, but i think shes so unreasonable, she still wont like it. and i aint thatching for $150. man, i mean like super pain in the butt. i used to think it was me, but after today, ive come to a conclusion: there aint nothin wrong with me, its them!!! moral of the story: make sure u explain to your customers: spring cleanup does not include:being on your knees with a magnifying glass picking up every particle! just had to tell someone who can relate

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

A good reminder - explain what your service includes so they know what to expect. :rolleyes: :dizzy: :blob2:

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Or dosen't!

4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem yesterday. Did a clean-up for $135. It took 2.5 hours. She said "i thought you trim around beds?" I replied i did. She was expecting the beds to be edged with a bed edger or a shovel. I gave her the price for bed edging but still haven't heard from her. She has about 300 feet of beds. I guess I need to be more exact with my wording.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I know the money is good with spring and fall clean-ups, but some times I wonder if it better not to take on extra cleanings. Some customers just don't get it. It is not always worth the time and money to the extra work, unless it leads to a full maintenance customer.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Money is money. If I have the time to do it, it's all good!

7. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I gave a bid on a clean up yesterday and the guy almost :cry: when I gave him the quote. The yard is 10,000 square feet and due to the owner coming down with an unexpected illness it did not have a fall clean up. The yard had alot of wet matted down oak leaves, the beds were overgrown so the leaves in them would be tough to get out, and their were alot of sticks to pick up. I quoted him at $300 which included removing leaves from his property. I could tell in his voice that he was rather shocked by the price and I don't like when that happens. However, I still have expenses to pay. I hate not getting work and losing a bid makes me second guess my price but thats the buisness. Some people don't realize that in today's world $300 is not alot of money and they think that if they pay that kind of $$$$ we will get on our hands and knee's to do the work.

I know I got a little off topic but I needed to vent.

Also, anyone here think I was high in my price.

8. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

My 2 cents
    Don't bid a set amount. Give them an hourly rate. They get less kicks when it's costing them $$per hour.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I gave a quote on a cleanup today. After seeing the property I wondered why anyone would even bother. The front yard had muddy truck ruts beside the driveway that had been there for a while, leaves hadn't been touched last fall, the back yard was mostly dirt covered with leaves and a tiny patch of grass. Narrow gate to the back yard, of course, and 4 big dogs inside barking to get at me. Smaller lawn, but I quoted her $200 to clean out the beds, mulch up the leaves, and mow the lawn and establish an edge on the overgrown curb and drive. If it wasn't for getting the maintenance business too, I wouldn't do any cleanups at all.

Oh yeah, she also had about 10 newspapers piled up and rotting about a foot away from the mailbox. Yet she said she'd mowed it last weekend herself.

This is the kind of job I get warning bells on. I think I've just talked myself out of doing it if she calls back.

I agree on charging by the hour also, I should have today. There are too many variables about what looks "done" with stuff other than mowing to give a set price. 90% done takes 50% of the time, it's that last nit-picking 10% that can cause conflicts.

10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i had tons of customers like this.they thought 50 was high for a small clean-up.

have you guys started your clean-ups yet? i think its just to wet still over here