Unremovable bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Happy Frog, May 2, 2008.

1. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone got an anti-scalp roller bolt in new condition (no rust) that he could not remove with a 600 ft. lbs impact wrench? :angry:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I've ran across a few, Ended up using my fire wrench on them.....

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

600 ft lbs and no extension on the impact outta twist it right off.

4. Happy Frog

This is what I thought. My impact wrench is rated at more than 600 ft. lbs. @ 90 psi. I have 6 power settings on it and I can instantly remove a blade bolt torqued at 120 ft. lbs. at the first or second setting. I cranked up the pressure at 110 psi and highest setting on the impact wrench and the dang bolt would not bulge. All six pans got hammered by the socket pretty bad and the bolt head got hot but that was it. :realmad:

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Now what you do is take an angle grinder to it, that always gets it off LOL
    Careful you don't grind other stuff, but I've ground off more than a few stubborn bolts over time.
    It's tricky, you'll almost certainly hit the steel...
    Just be careful, and be prepared to apply a little touch up paint.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's funny that you bring this up today, my old IR 2131 wouldn't take the lugs off a F450 today. The ol girl must be close to 17 or 18 years old, been rebuilt once and the anvil has been replaced twice now. I'd be guessing that you are using a IR 2135Ti ?
    It's not the gun, it's all the fertilizer and chemicals and moister that gets on the roller bolts.
    In the case of the lugs, it is road salt. The lugs were rusted on. So 8 new studs and lugs later :laugh:

7. Happy Frog

The bolt is new condition, shinny and all...
    I have my dealer pick up the mower Monday and he will replace the roller for me. :)
    I guess he will have fun with it :rolleyes:

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

over torque it till it strips. Look at the nut, is the outer face of the nut rounded, and does it have 3 triangular stampings in the outer face of the nut? These stover nuts can be a real pain, if they have been over torqued. I use a 1/2" or 3/4" drive breaker bar to start them turning, then switch over to a long handled ratchet, and these bastard nuts will scream, eek, eek, eek all the way off, never having the decency to break off! :cry::cry: