Unscientific Poll-Music while working

Discussion in 'Superintendent Forums' started by MichiganJim, Nov 7, 2013.

1. MichiganJim

MichiganJim LawnSite Member

Curious about your thoughts on whether or not to allow your crew to have their headphones/ear buds in while working?

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is good to listen to music. As long as they are not on their phone changing the song all the time. I would limit it to radio in their ear protection.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

For the fifteen years or so I ran golf courses if I saw a crew member with ear buds rather than ear protection = automatic termination.
    Used to get complaints about the crew not being able to listen to music until I conducted an experiment.
    Had an older JD tractor I knew had a rod knock, in fact I was just waiting until I got the replacement parts to in-frame the motor - but I digress: Allowed the one main whiner to run the tractor until it seized. Asked him if he heard the rod knock - his answer: Nope. And that's why I didn't allow music.

And now that I am self employed and it really is MY $$$ when a crew member fucksup a machine - you can damn well bet if I see them with a phone as well as ear buds and they are not calling 9-1-1 ; they will be after I knock them upside the head with a sharpshooter.