1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unsuccessful Businesses

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Brian B, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

I have an assignment for school that i have to find 5 unsuccessful lawn care/landscaping businesses or any business in that field. if you know any please tell me because i cant find any on the internet. if you dont want to say the name of the business on here you can PM me. If so, please name a few from Ohio.

2. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

pssshhh, i dunno any...why would anyone give you that assignment?

well, on second thought....hydroseeding could be a potential failure if you don't know what you're doing
  3. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

its for an entrepreneurship class and she wants us to look at why they failed.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

poor management skills
    failure to understand all costs of business
    poor planning
    poor people skills
    poor salesmanship

There could be a list a mile long for that task. You're not going to find many "out of businesses" on here. You will find plenty of start-ups on here. if time was on your side you could follow up with them again in august or about this time again next year when they're out of cash and selling everything off.
  5. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

Call every business in the book and hope to get a few saying they don't provide the service anymore and why, do some strenuous research through these old threads, etc.

I hope that helped, but surely she is more interested in why anyone would fail?

Poor Employment
    Equipment Breakdown
    Uncle Sam's wrath
    Clientel Fallout
    Needing the cash so they sell the business (i don't really think that's failing tho):confused:
  6. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

lordy lordy. the only one i can think of that may have some info and i don't remember where the thread is, is the one, recently that said he had been in business for 8 years but got out because people wouldn't pay. you guys know. the one with the gangsters for the crew. the owner is now a dj and has that on his site. can anyone give the link to that thread?
  7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one for you: http://www.nliveris.com/lawn.html

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Hey he changed his reason for going out of business :laugh: Well one down, 4 more to go...
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Boy those photos instilled confidence in their abilities. Put a shirt on try to look professional. Find something other than an Intrepid to pull around your trailer. The car was not intended to do that.
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like hey were all members of a chain gang doing community service. 9 years is not to bad I guess. If it's not for you, then its not for you!