1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Unsure Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JustLearning, Jul 3, 2004.

1. JustLearning

JustLearning LawnSite Member

I purchased my home 2 months ago, 1 of the items that made me fall in love was the lawn. The prior owner took great care, he had Bitter Blue brought in and all admires it. Myself I followed his lead, but something is wrong. I am from Vt so Bitter Blue and this hot sun is new. I mow every 3 to 4 days (at evening) & (as needed) I was watering as he had, until rain season kicked in. I do still use the sprinkler system when needed. The problem is, it is turning brownish is so many areas, parts seem to look like they are dying, Also in areas it looks as if someone has tore up parts in between rows. I was raking daily in the early am to get the pine needles off, as some days looks like trucks loads were dumped. Other than mow & raking it gets no traffic.
    Some are saying Not enough Water- others says To Much and also saying to much raking.
    I sure don't want to loose my great lawn so please for any help I sure would be Thankful from you in here.
    I surfed the net and found your site and here I am.
    I took pictures if you think you need to see.
    Thank You for being here for lost people like me.
  2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

how much are you watering and when are you watering? and can you post pictures please that will help
  3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Chuckers asked the right question. just make sure you're not watering too much, early in the evening, so that the grass stays wet all night. That can lead to a fungus. Best to water 1 - 2 times a week, deeply, in the early morning.
  4. JustLearning

I will post the pictures I took,(just how to see to do so) I also kept the same Lawn Spray service, who comes every other month. I in fact called them at the start of this, they said Not Enough Water as I was doing 25 min each zone. They had me up to 1 hr each zone. each night. They said that is the only problem, so why with the rain season here (and sprinkler in between) I did cut back on sprinkler with rain days mind you.
    So why Is It Growing Worse?
  5. JustLearning

Here are a couple pictures

grass picture 6.jpg
  6. JustLearning

Here is another Picture for you all

grass picture 5.jpg
  7. JustLearning

As I said I kept it same as prior owner, which was around 3 am each moring, after my lawn pest guy came & looked, he said Not Enough water and I up from 25 min per zone to 1 hr each zone still at 3 am,
    so should I water on every other (unless rain) and switch to half 1/2 hr am then repeat in early evening?
  8. JustLearning

this is the one that looks like someone made a road per say?

grass picture 7.jpg
  9. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

well you should be watering in morning for about 35 min each zone or so try to stay away from water at nite.. because dampness and dark causes fungus can you get a close up of the brown spots ? it might be a fungus but its really tough to tell
  10. brandon1022

brandon1022 LawnSite Member

The picture you think looks like a road. Is it raised slightly at the brown spot? I know here we have alot of mole traffic that will kill lawn.