Unsure on which engine to chose for Scag Tiger Cat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pitrack, Jan 21, 2010.

1. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys I tried searching for a similar thread and couldn't find anything and if I did nobody replied.

3 engine options for the Scag Tiger Cat.

26hp Briggs 33 lbs of tq
    19hp Kawasaki 36 lbs of tq
    23hp Kohler 40 lbs of tq

I am pretty sure on the torque numbers but could be wrong since I had to do some of my own looking up to find out.

I am not familiar with Kohler or Briggs, as my previous mowers all have had Kawasaki. I want the most power I can get for this mower, looking at a 48" deck. So Which do you guys think is the best option ignoring price. (Kohler is highest, Kaw, then Briggs)

Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go kawasaki or kohler. I have the 29 dfi kaw on my Tiger and love it. The only Briggs I would buy is the 35 Briggs that they put on the Turf Tiger. I know 4 people that have the 19 kaw Tiger cub and have zero issues with them.

3. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Had that Briggs........

Would never get another....

Much happier with Kohler and Kawi...... But that's just me!

4. DKJLawnCare

DKJLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have the Kawi 19 on my 48" it pulls great. It actually pulls better than the 21 Briggs that was on my old Craftsman.

The briggs was pulling 500 pound lawn tractor, plus me at 325 Total 825
    The kawi is pulling 1,100 pound Cub plus me at 325 total 1,425

5. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Briggs on my Bobcat. It is a pretty good engine, but seems to use oil, which scares me. It's only got about 280 hrs on it. If I were you I would go with a Kaw, unless it is a lot higher than the Briggs. My dealer talked me into saving money by going the Briggs route. He said if you gotta replace an engine, you won't be out anything, because the amount you save up front is the amount a new Kaw costs.

6. pitrack

Do you guys think a 19 horse Kaw is enough for a 48" Tiger Cat though?

7. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

Yes it is ..I have the 48 tiger cub and it has the 19hp Kawi on it ..It has been a work horse with very little troubles.

8. pitrack

Thank you for your reply. Do you typically mow thick tall grass? Or I guess have you before with the mower and how has it handled it? Any pictures of the mower or possibly some of the yards cut with it?

Thanks agian for your reply.

9. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

How thick and tall are you talking about? Im sure it will bog down if you are cutting an overgrown lot that hasnt been cut in some time ...Here is the thread with my tigercub pic ...Im the 2nd poster. Tigercub with the 19kawi is on right.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=301824

10. pitrack

Nothing crazy, just for when you have a yard that hasn't been mowed in a couple weeks or so.

Thanks for the pic, I see you also have a Wildcat. What is your opinion on the Tiger Cat with the 19 kawi, or spending another $1400-1600 for a 48" Wildcat with the 26 lq Kawi? Worth the extra money?

By the way, what is that on the Wildcat that covers where the grass shoots out? Something you can fold down when you don't want the grass to shoot out or leave up when you want it to? I tried making one of those for one of my walk behinds but never worked very well, love the idea though.

Thanks