Unusual leak problem.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Chilehead, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have just installed a system that works perfectly with the exception of a leak from my brass dual check valve (Wilkins 700) to my pvc fitting. Its a brass FIPT to pvc MIPT--all 1". Would teflon tape be the best fix? Thanks in advance.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What did you use originally for the threads?

I always wrapped teflon 3-4 times on the threads and then applied some silicon to lubricate it as it went in. PVC to Brass is really easy crossthread.

3. Chilehead

Threads went on dry, and tightened with pipe wrench

4. Dirty Water

Well, why are you surprised it leaked?

Pipe thread seals on the threads. You need teflon or a pipe dope.

Are you a "professional"?

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

With brass, we use sch 80 m.p.t. adapters with rectorseal, too easy to crack
    sch 40 if overtightened. No teflon tape used anywhere.

6. Dirty Water

I always told my guys that it was hand tight plus a half turn with a channel lock.

You don't need any more to seal. Its the guys who crank those puppies down that cause all the problems.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Most true..no need to bottom-out the threads.:cry:

8. Chilehead

Yes, I am a professional. Irrigation is where I have the least amount of experience. No need to be a jerk about it, man.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Of course we need to hand out some abuse. No sealing of threaded pressure connections? That's worth three pages of abuse. (and one more page or two for whatever nimrod decided that a Dual Check Valve was worthy of the task of backflow protection, although that puts your locale ahead of Suffolk County)

10. I always use paste on metal to metal connections and tape on plastic to plastic and also plastic to metal gets tape.
    The largest water system in my area now does not even require a backflow preventer on a residential system because the water meter now has a dual check built into the water meter setter . However I still install a DCVA regardless.