Unusual leak

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ground Master, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Customer had a really mushy area in yard. So we poke around a little and find your typical buried valve box. The solenoid o-ring was pushed out as seen in second picture.

2. WM. Seen that several times. O-ring pops out. I won't use WM valves though I like the Smartline a lot.
  3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

WM valves are kind of junk..

some swear by them....I prefer the jartops irritrol.
  4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We swear by them. They seem to have overcome the solenoid problem and even went back to normal-sized insulation on the wires. We're happy.
  5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Good to hear they work out for you hank....

you blow out systems right?
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

W*M valves were fine, while the company's founder was still alive. It was the next generation that messed up a good thing.
  7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Rotar, a couple years ago I rebuilt a couple WM valves that were 24 years in the ground. New diaphragms and new solenoids (worn coating inside the old ones) and they were good to go. I bet you were still in diapers when they were installed.

Same with old Hydro Rain/ Hardie Century series valves... (and changing the metering rod sometimes) But I'd say my experience with the longevity of each is about the same...

Oh, and consider that we irrigate here up to 10 months of the year.
  8. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Plenty of bad experiences with these o-rings and solenoids. I know you probably didn't install this, but if profit margin is so tight they can't splurge on the 10" valve box, they shouldn't be in the business.

6" valve boxes = wire splice boxes at best!
  9. RT unless you want a nervous breakdown don't come to Dallas. I'd say 95% or more of the valves here are installed in 6" boxes. The others are buried. WM used to sell a 2" cap with a brass flange that fit over a 2" pipe and that was all that was used to mark the valve.
  10. Max Snoddy I believe. At one time being a WM contractor meant great material and high profit margins. They went through as bad a spell as a company can go through for several years. I've repaired some of their brass valves with an inexpensive diaphragm that have been in the ground 35 years or more. One of the few places where you can still find a full line of brass nozzles. I've heard their plastic nozzles have improved as well.