Unusual problem???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

am i the only one or is this a new excuse? over the past year ive had a few new people or one timers not pay after i mailed out invoices. after we start sending late notices or calling, they say they never received an invoice. theres been about 6-8 instances and a couple should have gotten a couple notices that they claim to not get. none of them ever bothered calling to notify us that they never received an invoice after a few weeks had passed. is the mailman trying to screw me or is it these people? any one else have this happen? we're switching to credit cards next season to prevent stuff like this from happening.

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Brian,
    I just got a new mail carrier this year, before him I never knew where my mail would end up or whos mail would be in my box, I'm near the end of the route and I got all the leftover missed mail in my box. I would take it once a week and turn it in to the post master at my office and she would send it all back out again. It was getting so bad I told her I count on my income coming in thru the mail and if i miss a check I will start throwing the mail away instead of turning it in. things still didn't improve much, then the state post master sent out a survey of our PO performance, 6 months later there was a major shake down and a lot of people were replaced, excellent delivery service ever since.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

For one thing,one-time jobs I always hand write out an invoice as soon as I complete the work and hand it to the customer so I can get paid before I leave the site.I do let them know ahead of time,usually when I bid the job that that is when I will be expecting to collect in full for the work requested and completed.
    I venture to say you have a problem with your area post office..with that many customers claiming they are not receiving invoices..... makes me think they really are not.I would call and talk to your local
    Post Master Person and they will check it out.

4. Brianslawn

thanks steve and she...:waving:

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had this a time or two. In my situation I think it was an excuse for not paying on time. They did pay eventually though.

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just don't see it with 6 or 8 different people.
    Brian are they all in the same area or through the same PO it may be their end of the delivery thats failing, the whole office or maybe all one carrier.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to realizing how people can be.
    One of the oldest lines there is.

This is why ALL my work is either paid in advance or point of service.
    No way ever in a million years would I "send and invoice" for a one-tiem job.

To most of these people it's like just begging them not to pay.
    Truthfully, many of them probably offered the job to several and waited to say yes to the guy that didn't ask for money up front or at arrival.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive noticed this, i don't take it, if they say they never got the first one, ill put the second on their door if im in the area to make sure they get it and i know if they are just BS'n me. Just my .02

9. Brianslawn

most our mail goes through 2 differnet post offices, and covers 4 zip codes. one was the deadbeat lawyer i had to take to court and is now appealing. he had been a customer for couple years before he quit paying. he claimed he hadnt received last bill or any late notices until court delivered one.

it might be a little of both, people and PO.

i agree. no more mailing invoices unless they are for prepay services or we have one month deposit. credit card day before sheduled service next year.

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL ........bull crap when you get that from a customer you had better drop em . i lost about 2000.00 last year from those types . i even sent a letter many times and i would also put it in their door or wiper blades . they are just dead beats , loose em and do your self a favor . here is the letter i sent out :

Dear Customer,
    As many of you know it takes money to run a buisness. At this time I am encountering many slow pays and non pays from many of my customers. Those customers that have a past due balance need to have their account current no later than August 01, 2005. After 08-01-05 all delinquent customers will be assesed a 2.00 per day late fee for five days. Those customers that are still not current as of 08-07-05 will then be turned over to the magistrate for legal repercutions. This will include the late payment , court cost, filing fees, and any other cost that is incured during this procedure. To avoid any interuption in your lawn service please contact me so that we may resolve this matter. If this letter does not pertain to you please accept my appologies and thank you for your buisness.

Thank you for your time and cooperation in advance,
    James Jacobs

guess what i still only got paid from a few . and in nc the judge cant make you pay only put a collection on your credit report . so if you take em to court you are out more $$$ for filling fees and court cost . it aint worth it .....