Unusual Trimmer Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, May 30, 2008.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My youngest son absolutely loves to run a string trimmer. Forget mowing or blowing, he wants to run the trimmer all day if I'd let him. We have been really focusing on safety and I love to see a good work ethic coming out in him.

So now two questions.

1. Does anyone make a string trimmer only three or four feet long? I know it's a crazy question but what about midgets? :laugh:

2. Can a solid shaft trimmer be cut in two places, remove the middle section, and then weld the shaft and housing back together? I have some older lightweight trimmers I rarely use but was wondering if this was even possible to do to one of them.
  2. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

They arent commercial but we used to have some little ryobi trimmers from tractor supply. They looked like they were made for midgets.
  3. lawnspecialties

Thanks N.TX. I thought this thread was just going to disappear. I'll go check them out.
  4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Mcculloch use to make one!
  5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Short shaft hedge trimmers ! Remove the hedge trimmer and put a string trimmer head on. I would measure his height, different manufacturers use diff. lengths. What trimmer brand are you currently running?
  6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

If he loves to run trimmer that much, send him my way , and I'll take care of the details!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Get him some drywall stilts so he's a bit taller :laugh:
  8. lawnspecialties

I typically use RedMax but also have Shindaiwa and Kawasaki hand-helds as well. I really don't care what brand this trimmer will be. It's just to make my youngest "feel like part of the team". :)

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

How old is he??? I would get a short shaft hedge trimmer and put a trimmer gearbox on it. There you go.
  10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

This is a good idea! If you want it to be ballsy, put the Echo ProTorque gearbox on there! And use a U-Turn head to make it easy for him.