1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Up Against Idiots!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody told me in a recent post that if I am hungry go where the food is, I may just do that after 2001.

My neighbor is a state trooper and he works with two guys who started a legit service. They have a worker and do no work themselves.Found out they have a $10 min.!

A LC guy at the toro dealer yesterday said he has a $5 min.! I have seen him around for at least five years and he even has advertising on his truck. He has one employee and grosses $150. a day he brags. When I told him that I have a (lousy) $20. min. his smile quickly disappeared.

Now I know what I have been told here before. Sell your services and quality etc. but these guys do that. This biz here is getting beyond scary.No need to give any advice on this post because I live in the twilight zone and there are no answers. I justed wanted to vent again.

- signed, living in a buyers market.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

$10 min. $5 min. What are they crazy? How could you run a legit business on that. Their on the road to bankruptcy.
  3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure that isnt in south central Indiana? That is why soon we will all be doing something else.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

There a guy here locally who cuts 300 lawns a week and he grosses almost $200K, on $15-18 cuts. Im not looking to brag, but just to let you know that on half the accounts and working less our company brings in a sizeable amount to that figure and thats just for the mowing. We also have fert, aeration, power raking, lime, shearing, gutters, driveway sealcoating.

The key to remember is these guys are mowing every stinking week rain or shine to make their money. Im going to continue charging my prices, and not mowing every week, provuide other services and make the money these only wishg they could off of less accounts.

Good Luck with you this season!
  5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know...I think I'd be very thankful for the good customers that I have now and send out information asking them and encouraging them to please think of folks they know that could use your service.
    I don't think I'd even try to advertise in a market like that. The only way you'll get new accounts is to get good folks by means of refferal. I feel for you though! I always thought my market was bad especially after reading some of the prices folks can charge in their areas from this b board. But I have come to realize, you can only charge what YOUR market will bear. Good luck to you. Maybe they will fall flat. Then you can use them as examples to new customers about why a responsible company cannot work for spare change.
  6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I'm counting my blessing everyday...I live in a area where there's alot of competition, but my business continues to thrive and grow...I've actually raised my prices and still continue to get new customers...I try to make my business stand out with great Quality and I offer a wide variety of services...If I can't do it myself, I'll sub it out to someone that can...Most of my customers are elderly and I get them to depend on me for all of their labor intesive needs....It's worked so far...Good luck...Derrick