Up for a Challenge?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Squizzy246B, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

This is a job that should have been done before the owners spent squillions on bull nose limestone construction. Anyway, its more of a logistical challenge than anything. The driveway is about 34 degrees up to the street. The old brick wall has cracked due to inadequate footings and ties, plus a lot of natural moisture coming out of the hillside.

The hillside is practically solid limestone. We are installing a mass retaining wall in place which requires 3' 3" of room behind the face.

Pic 1 (17) shows the lovely views the owners enjoy

Pic 2 (18) is taken 90 degrees to the right of Pic 1 and shows the room we have to work in...or rather lack of it. I have done worse though.

Pic 3 (19) shows the area above the brickwall as was before we ripped the place up.

Pic 4 (23) gives a view of the wall (in the middle at the back above the water feature) and some risk for us when a rock rolls off the ledge.

Pic 5 (32) shows the kink in the top of the old wall after we have started digging out.

More to follow

View 017.jpg

Scene 018.jpg

Top 019.jpg

Bottom 023.jpg

Crack 032.jpg

2. Squizzy246B

Heres the next lot;

Pic 1 (34) shows the working area. We pull out some spoil and then push it into the garage with the skid for backfilling. Some gets loaded out into our truck. The driveway is not for the faint hearted in the skid.

Pic 2 (39). We are starting to expose the back of the wall. Thats not dust, its smoke coming off the tiger teeth.

Pic 3 (41) Bit more digging

Pic 4 (42) Just shows where we cut the old wall. The scarey part here is we still have to go down another 3' from the bottom of the bricks and we hit solid limestone just below.

I'll post some more pics after the nose picker has done its magic on the limestone.

Spoil 034.jpg

Digging1 039.jpg

Digging2 041.jpg

Cut 042.jpg

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

All I can say is.........Whoa!

Chris

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

hope you are charging time and materials........

that looks like a real headache......

but at least you have a good view while working

5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to the prior responses to this post Squizzy. I think the "pucker factor" would be rather large while doing that job. Keep us posted with pics on how this job progresses for you. Glad it's you and not me. Awesome view by the way.
    Take it easy
    Marcus

6. Squizzy246B

I am charging this on time and materials, its my hourly rate that will give you the pucker factor:dizzy: .

However, it will be a miracle if we don't break something. Steady Steady is the name of the game. I'll post a couple more pic's as we go.

Just think it might have been a good idea to do this before all the construction work not at the end.

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Squizzy, how's the job coming?

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Who did the water feature and block work around it?

9. Squizzy246B

Kris, Most of what you can see is done by a guy we work with from time to time. He often hires our excavator, and/or we do all the heavy stuff, and he does the finishing. His designs can be very complex, and generally exist only in his head until its built. The round cornered stone is more expensive but well worth it I think.

Cheers

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I really like that fake door or whatever it is ...looks great IMO

Cheers to you too.