Up on the roof taking care of leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 9, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

So after last years little problem with one of my customers and leaves in her gutters, which caused her $5000 damage to her garage, I have decided not to take care of leaves in gutters this year...until one of my regular customers calls me up last night.

Now I have been taking care of the leaves in his gutters and on his roof for years (approx 6 years) so I figured what the heck. I go over there, climb the ladder and look really stupid standing on the roof with my backpack blower on blowing leaves. And of course people that are walking by just stop and stare and shake their heads. And of course I say to myself under my breath, "what the h*ll are you looking at pp-head,"

Just thought that I would share with everyone.

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

What did you do to cause $5k in damage to a garage?

I have done my grandmas gutters w/ my back pack blower on like you mentioned. Nobody said anything, I think they were amazed to see how fast I could do the gutters with as little effort I put into them.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

well, I never did the damage, but she claimed that I did do the damage because I didn't clean out of the eves, which she claims she asked me to do, but she never asked me to do it. I posted a thread about it back in February or March I think.

4. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why i wont do any gutters period , dont want blamed for anything. If thier roof was bad you could fall thru the roof or worse yet you could fall off and break your neck then you be outa biz period

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I do them. The money is just way too fast and easy. Of course, I'm very careful, and always look out for slippery spots, especially in the morning, wet spots, and debris.

6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Keep it comming guys im bidding on HOAs some want gutters included. Need to decide whether to sub it out or do it myself. Im sure its not rocket science but I have never done it and never really wanted to.
    Do lawn guys use different tools and techniques than the exterior cleaning/power wash guy I would sub to?

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I'm not sure what power washing guys do, but I just get on the roof w/ the BP blower and start blowing them out... not hard at all. Just start at one point on the gutters (corner works best) and start going around the perimeter.