1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Up Scale vs Middle Class

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 1BadHawk, Jun 29, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Whats been your experience with upper class customers vs modern middle class?

I have a few customers who live in $mil homes, 1 - 1 1/2 acre lots, nice turf grass, and want full service. But Ive noticed these customers are quick to complain.

I have a few middle class residentials who have $300k-$400k homes and complain very little.

Ive been staying away from the elder community's who live in low-mid income housing only because I didnt think it would be worth advertising in.

Whats your experience with various customers?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Price tag of the home has nothing to do with it. They're either gonna be nice all the time or a PITA all the time. Period

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi 1BadHawk,

With the higher end houses there is a better chance they have more disposable income to use for improvements, although that's not always the case.
  5. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

my experience so far is the more money they have, the more they want to haggle and try to get something for nothing.
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Because home prices are so high around here, most of the 5-$800,000 homes are owned by the middle class who really cant afford such expensive homes. Most of there salary goes to just the mortgage and home expenses leaving them with very little to no disposable income to spend on landscaping. Most of the owners of the $700,000 houses we maintain aways ask for a price before doing any work and then attempt to haggle us down or cut out certain portions of the work to reduce the cost. Its the people in the 300- $450,000 houses that can actually afford there house and have plenty of money to spend on landscaping and home improvements. Most never even ask for an estimate. With all the new mortgage programs that have come out in the past few years its now possible for someone making $60,000 a year to be qualified to buy a $700,000 house that they really cant afford. I Make more money.... and have less headache working for the "middle class" not trying to live the lifestyle of a millionaire.
  7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I find that the people in the "upper class" neighborhoods to be more pains in the rear and don't pay as quickly.
  8. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

From what little experience I have, It just seems to me that those people that live in the high end homes do have extra $$ to spend on lawn and landscape, however, they seem to be the pickiest. Complaining about every little thing.

Now I have had a couple of middle class type families complain as well, but it seems less prevalent (sp?) here. Just my opinion.

Of course I have some great customers from wealthy backgrounds that really dont say or ask anything. Pay well, on time, and even give referalls. I suppose its the nature of the beast when you do work like this to a variety of people.
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing I'm beginning to want to look at in my marketing is the length of time the homeowner has been in that house. Why?

Because new mortgage holders tend to be up to their ears in hock. That's just not promising for disposable income or for timely payment. As for the PITA factor, I've heard that the nouveau riche tend to carp a lot more, but my customers are all middle-class stiffs, so I can't say that from experience.
  10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know if they have it in your area, but here we can look up real estate tax records online, which will also give you the date the property was purchased.

As far as haggling, I don't get a whole lot of that here, which is nice. I think it helps that I am in one of the more affordable markets in the country, where $400k puts you in just about any of the top dollar developments. Probably the same as what some area see for $800k and up houses.