up to 5000 door hangers and only 2 calls

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kalyeah, Mar 20, 2005.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Hello, I've put out 5000 doorhangers and only 2 new customers so far. Someone please tell me it's still early. Getting a little sick at my stomach at this point. Have really high quality door hangers this year. Thinking I had better results with the cheap looking ones I had last year. Maybe competition is just getting thicker.

2. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I am not sure what its like for you but up here you sometimes have to wait till late April or early May before you send out flyers and get a reply.

3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Whats your weather like down?It may still be a little early,mine are going out this week.The weather here is just starting to warm up,a lot of guys already put there's out though.We did pass out 300 a couple weeks ago on a nice day and got 3 calls.

4. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

think it's getting close to 60 today for the high

5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Try giving something away or charge really low prices and you'll get plenty of response. Actually just kidding, however this is the first year that i have put out 18" x 24" signs in various locations and have had decent responses without much leg work. Hope it goes better for ya.

6. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

There are certain elements on doorhangers that must be present to be successful. These elements are vital for all direct marketing.

If you force a person to read the entire thing to figure out what it is, he will throw it in the trash before he reads the 2nd line. Big bold letters on the front what this is about.

You have to entice them to call. CALL NOW!!! FREE MOW!!!!! $20.00 OFF!!!! FREE ESTIMATES!! something that will grab their attention immediately so it doesn't end up in the trash.

Your advertisement is not usually the customer's first impression. Many times people put to much effort in how it looks to the them instead of concentrating on what the customer will see. Their first impression will be either the phone call or the 1st meeting.

Answering machine = bad
    Dirty truck = bad
    Not returning phone call = bad
    Unorganized on the estimate = bad
    Undecisive = bad
    No eye contact = bad
    In a hurry = bad
    Talk about other companies = bad

Concentrating on what you DO do, not what you don't do = good
    Smile = good
    Take your time, be social = good
    Write so they can read it = good
    Answer the phone = good
    Take the lead on the estimate, don't let customer lead the conversation = good

and the lists go on. All the advertising in the world will not make up for a bad first impression. Most customers will determine whether to buy from you or not in the 1st 60 seconds. It's been proven that the average person is in the market for a service for less than 2 minutes.

Remember, less than 1 in 10 people who call will leave a message for new service. So if you have 5 messages for service, it means (most likely) 50 people called you. Of course if most of your new customers are from word of mouth these numbers don't hold up.

7. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Hand it out at least a 100 Friday and got one call Saturday... I hope that's good news so far.