1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

*Update* 21" route

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Aug 1, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted to fill you in on the 21" route I started a couple weeks ago.

$605/ gross

used less than 1 gallon of gas in equipment

$10 in gas for truck

These are just the basics.

I like the limited learning curve the 21" route has.

I still haven't decided if this can be done all week. I know justmowit does it but walking all day using a 21" is tough.

I started the 21" route myself and now have a crew that does it part of the week(not enough accounts).

I think if I take the attitude of "burn and turn" employees, then this 21" route will work.

I just can't see having a crew that walks with a 21" cutting 40+hrs/week.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i wish our area could support a 21" route, it is certainly a niche market you can tap into if you're first on the block to do it.
  3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I have a big market for 21" mowing accounts 15 minutes of mowing, $40 a yard I'm rich bi*ch!!!
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Why not? I have two of them that walk around with 21s for about 50+ hours each week. Been doing it that way for years. There is some turnover. But for the last 1-2 years, it's been the same guys doing it.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When I started out many years ago, I did just that, ... walked behind a 21" all day, all week. The next year, I walked behind a 36" w/b, in addition to the 21" mower. Then, I got a sulky for the 36" ...

One man in my working neighborhoods only has 21" mowers, and works by himself. I chuckle each time I see him because he has three identical mowers in the back of his pickup, ... how many mowers can ONE person use? He works hard, very hard, and mows some pretty large lots. The mowers are TroyBuilt models, producing a marginal result. His operating costs are much lower than the rest of us, but I have no idea what he is charging for his work.

Your comment, "... one gallon of gas," does not sound right. We often use over 1 gallon of mixed fuel in our LawnBoy every day.
  6. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

next time you see him ,tell him to get a honda.
  7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't believe it myself Roger.

I also didn't use that much mix for trimming. We were able to do a lot with the 21".

8. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

What is the average size per lot? Sounds like you may be on to something here especially with that low fuel overhead. Of course insurance and other costs may stay the same but eliminating that much fuel has to show up on the bottom line. Mowing those same yards with a larger mower, what would your fuel cost have been?

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

NOBODY in my town can walk with a 21 for 15 minutes and make 40 bucks. Anywhere you can do that, you can mow with a 54 in just a few minutes and just cant charge that much (it is competitive you know).
  10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

glad to hear it's working for you