UPDATE: 232b tilt cylinder noise

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ma5tr, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Hello All!
    I last started a thread about a noise that our machine was making when we used our tilt cylinder. our cat dealer took our machine about a month ago, and we still have not recieved our machine back(we got a 246 loaner)! I talked to the service tech and he said they have no idea what the noise is and that CAT is now involved. He also stated that there is a chance because out machine is so new (90hrs/ purchased on july 18 2005) that CAT may just give us a brand new machine. I am now wondering should I just push for a new machine? Since we got it, we had it in the shop more that on our sites.

at 40hrs we had a oil leak
    at 20hrs the tilt cylinder valve had to be replaced because it was sagging inappropriate amounts(over 8" in 2minutes)
    and now at 90hrs this.

-on a different note: we have had 2 246 skids on this job and 1 felt really tippsy compared to the other (it also had a widened wheel base, if that is a reason i cant understand it) The other 246 has a standard wheel base it still feels more tippsy that our 232 but not as tippsy as the widened wheel base 246, why is this? If CAT does give us a new machine we were thinking of upgrading to a 242b but we are now afraid that it will be more tippsy than our 232, is this something that we should have no worries about?

2. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I can only think the reason a 246 would feel more unstable than a 232 is due to the type of tyres.

I went from a 226 to a 246B and I would describe the 246B as like driving a Brick compared to the 226.

I also demoed a 242B and still prefer the stability of the 246B. The 242B reminded me of the 226.

Hope that helps