1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Update: Exmark EZ stripe kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pat McMahon, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Pat McMahon

Pat McMahon LawnSite Member

I installed the Exmark EZ stripe kit on my 60" Lazer Z. It really does make a nice stripe. I normally cut at "2.75" and installed it for that height.
    I'm tempted to lower the roller one more setting to help the roller stripe even better, I was wondering if anyone else has done this? It says in the instructions that "excessive wear can result in the roller....".
    Right now I'm pleased cause the mounts for the roller don't dig in while turning, and our customers lawns look better that they did without the EZ stripe kit, but the results weren't as dramatic as I had hoped for. Am I going to experience problems lowering the roller 1 setting? Thanks for your help!

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

pat, you're stripes have to be dark enough, i have the same 60" and my stripes blind people when they drive by my lawns. the instructions say not to do that for a reason.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I just got my EZstriper in from my dealer today, pick it up tomorrow. So when you cut at 2.75, how far off the ground is the bottom of the EZstriper roller mounted? I'm excited to try mine out, but it will be several weeks as the grass isn't even close to being ready for the Lazer Z.
  4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Well, they only way you'll find out if it works better is to try it out. Do it on your own yard in cause it digs in or something.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well just went out and measured mine for ya. Set my height at 2.75" (way too low for PA grass on a 60" mower BTW!) and I have about 1" between roller and garage floor. But thats about as low as I could and ever do cut. Any lower and I'll have to adjust antiscalp wheels, and the striping roller. My roller is set at 1.5" when I'm cutting my normal 3.25". Thats ideal for me. Great stripes, and great clearance. Any lower and the roller will be "rolling" too fast and too often, and you may wear it out!

Anytime that roller is lower than the rear edge of the deck skirt, it will improve striping. You could technically set it up like a Simplicity, where it actually supports the deck weight, but you would not only quickly wear out the roller, but the whole deck support systems, bushings, etc.!
  6. Pat McMahon

Pat McMahon LawnSite Member

I'm set at 2.75 early in the season and move it up to 3.25-3.50 in late June/July. My customers seem to want their lawn "the same height as their neighbors". (too short)

When I was cutting at 3.25 in early spring, they didn't like the fact that when I was done, it was higher than their neighbors turf. I explained to the few that complained that this was the recommended cutting height for our area. A number of my LOYAL (big account) customers asked me nicely to lower the blades.

The problem is that we have 3 mowers, I want all 3 to cut at the same height. (Scag 48" walk behind, the Exmark 60" Lazer Z, and a White push mower for smaller areas) Setting the height on the Exmark per the customers wishes is EASY. Setting the height on the Scag 48" walk behind is a pain in the butt! Wrenches, bolts, knuckles bleeding....) I can't easily change the setting on the Scag to suit ever customer. What do you suggest that I do?

Thanks for your help.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I just tell them I'm cutting lower than I am, or just tell them nothing. Its better for their lawn, easier on your blades (dont hit or scalp dirt as much), and it simplifies my operation. I have basically the same equipment/problem with cut heights. I just set the SCAG at 3.25" and leave it there all year. The Lazer however fluctuates between 3.00" and 3.75" depending on the lawn conditions.
  8. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

What to do ? Trade that scag in on an eXmark wb!!!