1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Update *Heres the situation*

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky05, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Well do you guys remember the post that I posted about a month or so ago about this cop in Pittsburgh that is sueing me for 780 dollars over a seed job that I charged him 275 for?

Well anyway today was the hearing, I dont think it went to well. I had everything prepared I had all my facts typed up, weather reports listed and everything. The judge never even looked at them. The cop that was sueing me told his side of the story, and bascially said everything but when it was my turn to talk the judge just kept asking me, "why didnt this grow right" and I replied, because he didnt water it enough and the judge just kept asking me "can I contest that" all and all I was unsatisfied with the hearing I feel like I just got buffaloed around and didnt get to speak to my best. I am going to get the results in the mail tomorrow. I have a feeling I am going to have to pay the the labor back because the judge kept writing the reciept amounts down. I dont know if it is worth appealing to a higher court (in the city) if I lose or just pay the loser and be done with it. I guess it all depends on the amount and result tomorrow.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Man that sux but its hard to go up against a cop even if he is crooked. I hate to eat one when I know Im right but sometimes it just isnt worth it.
  3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

You never know the outcome. It just might suprise you.

4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

do we know what the outcome is yet?
  5. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Yea, you won't win in court against a cop. Sorry to hear that.
  6. dirt digger

dirt digger LawnSite Member
    from KS

Most states have a Clerk of the Appellate Court or something equal to this position to contact should you have concerns with the judge or his decision. In additional, depending on the determination, contacting your states Attorney General with your concern, may or may not be helpful.
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Now this is interesting. Let us know what you found out.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I listen to an ole lady b!&#h about an over seed job 10 years ago, It was dry and she didnt water and she wanted the grass kept at 1 '' height. I should of just walked away from her but she paid oh so well and at the time I NEEDED the job to pay for equipment so.......... I gave up overseeding unless they sign a paper stateing im not responsable for acts of God (drought or flood). I wish you luck. I hope the judge has some idea of Lawn Care.

9. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

You shoulda listened to my advice when you brought this up on your last thread. You Shoulda got the best attorney in the area, and you would now be posting about how you won, and how the cop looked real stupid. It is worth every cent.
  10. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

I didnt hear the answer yet. It was supposed to come in the mail today guess it will tomorrow.

As far as the attorney goes, that just didnt make much sense in my eyes. The guy is sueing me for 780 which he cant get anyway becuase the price we agreed too was 275. So the additional money was for another landscaper that was going to redo the job, so if he did the job or not his price would be same (the other landscaper) plus to even get an attorney to listen and appear in the local court would have cost me at least 500 bucks.