1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Update on "Bait and switch" thread....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jan 23, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

The dealer finally got back to me today. They said they will honor the deal but will use a deck off of a demo unit that will still carry the full warranty. The deck has 1-2 hours on it. The power unit will be brand new. I think I'm going to go for it. Any reason not to?

Joel B.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no. the deck would be just as used in one or two hours anyway.

oh BTW, when you pick it up make sure that it is early in the am. take 'em coffee and do-nuts and make sure there are no hard feelings.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

well, you had a deal on a NEW mower, but i would probably take it.

myself, i wouldn't give them anything - i would say you are doing them the favor, they owe you breakfast.
  4. Joel B.

from MN

I have heard from some other people who say I should demand a new deck. After all, that is what we originally agreed on in the first place.

The dealer is obviously trying to save some money here (he even said it would save them about $300) Should I be nice and let them save some money (hopefully helping future relations) or be a stickler and demand the new deck? Like geogunn said the new deck would be just as used in 2 hours anyway, but then there is the principle of the whole thing too.

Thanks for all opinions,

Joel B.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

joel--your principles don't cut grass but your new mower will!

it still isn't too late for the dealer to tell you to take a hike (probably wouldn't say it that nicely).

he's agreed to do business with you and he didn't have to.

go for it!

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure he did GEO. They agreed to a price and he made a deposit on the mower. What else does one need?

Joel, its up to you, but I wouldnt let the dealer away with anything.
  7. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I would say be careful and not let pride get in the way. In a perfect world you would get a new deck with no hassle but this is not a perfect world. The fact is its almost like new and you WILL without a doubt need service one day. To keep you on their goodside, I d take it. Otherwise be prepared to be retalliated on when you need service. But hey. if you are a mechanical genius and will never need their service, or plan to NEVER EVER have a breakdown,( YEAH RIGHT ) :rolleyes: then go ahead and demand the new deck. Just be prepare dwith a little extra money on the side when you need service. If theyare real mean about it and stick you during service, you will probably think back to this day and say " Man I wish I'd gotten that used deck! "
  8. Joel B.

from MN

All good advice. The used deck isn't that big of a deal but what really gets me is that they are trying to change our deal AGAIN. First they tried to change the price, now they are trying to change the product we had agreed on.

True, a new deck is not worth the possibility of bad service down the road.

Thanks for all opinions, more are welcomed,

Joel B.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I believe you are getting the short end of the stick and the dealer has made a mistake and is not be an honorable man. With all of those negative items stated I would talk with the dealer again to assure there are no hard feelings and take the demo deck. 2 hrs if that is all it really has is nothing and you will need parts and service at some point. I wish you the best of luck let us know what happens.

10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'd probably take it,just because of service issues.However your dealer is a LIAR! A simple handshake doesn't mean squat to him,anything he promises,needs to be in writing!:blob1: