UPDATE on first whiner of the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 25, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i want to thank you all, that was great input by everyone of you. i did not call him back. however, he did call me back. 7 am this morning. i already had my figures. in talking to rodfather(whom i truly admire, and has given me great advice always), he made a comment. i told him how smooth things were going, and how many new clients i been signing, then i told him about the whiner. rod made a comment, "well bob, they can't all be easy." and of corse i said to myself, " just cus it's not easy, does this mean i can't make the sale? nope, i'll just try and make it sound more appealing." i looked at the property. the leaf cleanup will be about one hour, with maybe 3 barrels of disposal. he has one small maple, in the back, no trees in the front, and the back yard is fenced all around. he called, asked if i saw the property. i said ," yup, and i'll tell you what i came up with. i understand your financial position, so i've created a payment plan consistant with the one we use for other clients. i'm sure you will be pleased. the cutting fee remains at $30. we need a commitment on the leaves also. we added up 30 cuts for the season, plus the leaf cleanup,added the sales tax, and divided it into 10 equal payments of $109.71, is this something that will work for you?" he's like, "well, do i need to sign anything?" i said, "of corse you do, unless u want to pay the whole year in advance." he said," well, can i hire you on a temporary basis, just to make sure u do a good job." i said, "nope, i already know i do a good job." he said, "but the other guy never made me sign a contract." i said, "the other guy couldn't even bother to be at the jobsite. our policies are different, and i'm always there." sold the contract, on my 10 month payment term, which means i get one on march 1st, another on april first, we dont even cut till april 7th, there is no way i can lose. thanks again for all the advice, and remember, they can't all be easy sales.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

bobby, i assume your a one man operation like myself, how many accounts do you have?

3. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Congrats Bobby,

You decided what you needed came up w/a sales plan and didn't back down or soften up like most people would. I hope the account turns out to be a good one you can make a reasonable profit on.

Good-luck,
    Joshua

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

bobby u r growing up so fast

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

packer, last year (part time) i had like 30-35 lawns. i think i may have lost only one or two. this year(full time first year), i signed like 6 new ones already. so i'll say we have like 35-40 . i need 60. i had a little help last year. this year, if i get only 50, i'll go it solo. if i get 60 +, i'll take on my man 20 hrs a week. yea dusty, growing up huh. not sure i like this being nice stuff, it was so much more fun to just hang up on them when they were troublesome. now i have to act civilized

6. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

LMAO Dusty!

7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

packer, last year (part time) i had like 30-35 lawns. i think i may have lost only one or two. this year(full time first year), i signed like 6 new ones already. so i'll say we have like 35-40 . i need 60. i had a little help last year. this year, if i get only 50, i'll go it solo. if i get 60 +, i'll take on my man 20 hrs a week.

Cool, just wondering, i work by myself also, sometimes ill have a buddy help me if he needs some extra cash but its not often, i would much rather work by myself 14 hours a day then have some clown talking my ear off for 7

8. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion I would rather have someone object to something rather than not say anything at all. You then have the chance to overcome the objection. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!1

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby Congratulations :blob3: :blob3:

You stuck to your price and got it thats great and you get money rolling in before the season even starts which is always nice.
    Lrts go out for a beer on you. LOL :drinkup:

10. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

So are we seeing a kinder gentler Bobby Gedd
    :angel: :angel: :angel: