Update on me being solo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Apr 1, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to say it, I am almost done with all my spring clean ups and I absolutely love being back to a solo operation.

I don't have to worry about employees; calling them updating them on the schedule for the week, giving out paychecks, hearing them complain, not having to run from property to property to make sure that their hours are not that high, etc.

I am totally relaxed. Yes, I have turned away probably 8-12 customers already, because I won't have time to fit them in the schedule, compared to before where I could fit them into the schedule, but I don't have to worry about dealing with new customers and getting to know their properties.

I love being solo again.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

How is your salary compared to last year?

3. tiedeman

from earth

I have made a net $2731 more this year so far, compared to last year. Now that is a huge difference!!!!

The last two months espeically have been great. Averaging about $1,100 more a month in net. Yes I do admit that I raised up my prices, but still, this is great. I can't imagine the profit that I am going to have once the mowing season begins.

4. Vladslawn

Vladslawn LawnSite Member

Congratulations. Glad to hear the enjoyment is back into your daily work routine. Stress is a real killer and the doesn't pay that well either. (1 extra day of living = $$$ ??? )

Up here we haven't started yet and looks like it might be another 3 to 4 weeks before we can start. Still snow and ice arround. I'm itchy to get started!

Good luck in the upcoming season.

Vlad

5. Vladslawn

Didn't see you post before sending previous.

Enjoyment & increased profits; how can you bet that.

Vlad

6. tiedeman

from earth

I give a lot of the credit to the amount of snow that we received up here and the early melt off for early spring clean ups to make my huge difference.

My wifes grandparents live in Edmonton Vladslawn and they said it was like 23 C up there not too long ago. Unbelievable!

7. Vladslawn

This time of year we don't know what to expect.

Last year was clearing snow on Mar.11/03 and first spring clean was on Mar.31/03. Then cleared snow again April 4/03 and restarted April 15/03. Go figure!

Vlad

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

tideman, i made the same move from a couple of years ago and it's like being FREEEEEEEEE! Done early? Go to beach. Slept a few minutes late? So what. No one destroying my equipment, truck or sanity makes things peaceful and serene! I like to buy myself any equipment that will make life easier also and I can because there is no one to pay but me! Cash flow problems are greatly reduced also. It's a heck of a lot of work and sometimes that bites, but being Hans Solo is sweet.

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The decrease in all the headaches and problems associated with employees sound great. But seriously just how long can your own body take all the abuse? I only have 2 full time employees and try to keep operations as small and profitable as possible. I do infact make alot more money now then I did when i worked solo but yes....i do have alot more to worry about. I do not know how these guys with 3 crews can do it......better them then me. And to tell you the truth...judging my the "big LCo's in my areas houses, trucks etc.....It dosnt look like there Personal salrary is even as good as mine.

10. tiedeman

from earth

I actually feel that there is less abuse on my body. Because I can take my time more, and not rush things because I don't have to worry about employees and their time cards