Update on mower for sloped property

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Down Hill, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Down Hill

Down Hill LawnSite Member

Went to a local dealer. He had a nice 34" Gravely for $2100, but it may be more than I need. He had a Billy Goat and a Simplicity Pacer and confirmed that neither would handle the hills well.

However, they had something called a Worldlawn 28" 10.5 HP mower that looked pretty good and it had individual wheel control to handle the hills. Plus the smaller size seems much more manuverable aroundmy property. I did a search here for this mower and noboday seems to know anything about it.

At $1200 and an ideal size, plus the ability to handle the slope, I probably will take a chance on this mower.

That is, unless some of you have had poor experiences with one like it.

Thanks!

2. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

honestly,if no one on hear has heard of it,your the monkey thats wants to be tested. good luck! if its worth a hoot, someone on here would of heard of it!

3. Down Hill

You may beright, but there just doesn't seem to be much availableabout them anywhere. Even a Google search showed very little.

I may allow myself to be the test dummy here! (or is it test dumby???):dizzy:

4. mr mow

give us a review

5. mr mow

if your looking at price solely, why don't you check out a redhawk? I've heard good things and bad things. i think the bad things said are from people with out an open mind to value and performance v.s. is it made in the usa(p.s. everyone else in the world also has to mow their lawn if they have one), and weather or not joe blow owns one. im open minded, but the reliablity of my mowers is of the upmost importance so anytime im making a buying decision, i come to this site and weed through the good and the bad and decide on who and what points i trust. ultimately its your money, but again if you can not find worldlawn in search on this site, i wouldnt touch it. im a very open minded individual as well. my biz depends on it. What are recommended

6. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

7. Down Hill

Hey! Thanks for the link! They are made in China, but they are made by a private company and not related at all to Sutech.

The Redhawk looks like a great suggestion too. Apparently, they are somehow made by/or connected to Bradley Mowers.

At least, there are a few options. I am leaning towards the Worldlawn, but I am going to another dealer today to see what they have. At least I have a few more brands to look for.

Thanks again!

8. jallen191

jallen191 LawnSite Member
    from RI

how did you make out with the worldlawn?

i am also interested due to having fairly severe slopes in the back yard.

9. Down Hill

Well... I got the 28" and it really is a nice machine. It handles the hills well, but I am convinced that no mower would navigate the most severely slopped part of my property (not that big a section, so I just line cut it. I also have plans to cover that whole section with wood chips soon).

If I have 2 complaints/suggestions to make the Worldlawn better, I would suggest sightly bigger wheels and a slightly bigger cutting deck - 30" or 32" would be nice.

That being said, I guess I could have gone for the Gravely with larger wheels, a 34" deck, and a bit more power, but that would have been double the price and it is a much heavier machine. The WorldLawn actually gets in and out of some fairly tight spots which is something I need. i also don't like the idea of a really heavy mower on my slopes. If I have to manhandle the Wordlawn, it is still small enough that I can. Anything bigger would be a bit scary.

Anyway, hope this helps!

10. jallen191

jallen191 LawnSite Member
    from RI

yes it does- THANKS
    i did notice that worldlawn also has the 33" width mower which seems to be better- 3 blades, adjustable rear height, and more adjustment heights for the front end casters. the downside seems to be the extra weight, about 300 lbs compared to the 28" 230 lbs.