UPDATE: the department of labor stopped by my jobsite yesterday.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TheKingNJ, Aug 2, 2006.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I just figured i'd update everyone on how the state of New Jersey is waisting my time and money.

So a few weeks ago I started this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=151721

Today I get a letter in the mail saying I own $24k in non paying working unemployment and other BS. They also include a copy of the NJ business regrestration forum. Wich I though was cute since I AM A LEGAL BUSINESS.
    So they are trying to collect money all the way back from 2002 even though I wasn't a registed business till june of 04. There is a ton of other BS included within this letter but I just don't feel like ranting about it for hours.

So I bring the letter to my account and he laughs at it. He said I won't have to pay the state anything, but ofcourse I will have to pay for the accountant's time.

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you trust your current CPA? I'm not trying to say he/she is bad but I want you to make sure all your ducks are in a row.

The Gov can make your life hell and take and take and take and take!

Keep us posted

kc

3. TheKingNJ

yes my CPA is very good.

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

These are the times that a expensive CPA pays off.

kc

5. TheKingNJ

^^^^well put.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I remember your thread. I don't know, I'd probably be anxious and have to get a second opinion.

7. TheKingNJ

I really don't think I should be nervous, everything in my business is legit.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Except the workers that weren't on the books that day, by your own admission..............

9. TheKingNJ

yeah but when you pay your workers bi weekly it is easier to pay the taxes that were owed for that day.

10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how you or anyone else may feel about this, but I would also talk to a lawyer about it. Not to sue or anything like that but just to get another opinion on what they are saying vs. what you are saying, what is legal and what is not, that type of thing. As someone else said, you really want to have your mallards in a row on this, otherwise they may start turnin up the heat on you hotter then it already is in your part of the country. Good luck, hope nothing bad comes from it.