1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Updated Hardscape Trailer

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by E-mans Hardscapes, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Wouldn't happen to be this one, would it?

image (2).jpeg

image (5).jpeg

2. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Oh no. I don't have money for that. It's was a 2001. Nice rig tho. Yours?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

Only in my dreams. :laugh:

4. PLLandscape

I hear ya. That would be a fantastic truck if it had a full width "locker" behind the cab for hand tools. Everything on one truck with the capability to haul. If you really stuffed it with heavy tools you would need 450/550+ truck to have any remaining usable legal payload.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

Your original post is spot on. I say only in my dreams, but if I hadn't have spent $47,000 on a new 1/2 ton personal truck, I could have that 550 pictured. Oh well, I've got a dump, it's not as nice as the blue one pictured, but it gets the job done and isn't a piece of junk by any means. It's about priorities and I'm not too proud to admit that even mine get screwed up sometimes. Oh well, I'm still young, live and learn. :)

Here is the CL ad for the truck, BTW. http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/4634609223.html

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They make dump inserts for regular utility bodies
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PLLandscape

Yep they do. I was just seeing a body that had more dump volume the way the storage body was created. Plus the built in dumps over lap the utility body vs only being in the center. Either way could work but the insert is quite limited on the service body, a least it looks that way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. vtscaper

vtscaper LawnSite Member

I spent A LOT of time analyzing the decision to buy and equip job trailers for our install crews over the course of a year or so. We have a very nice and spacious shop and yard in close proximity to most of the work we do.

We keep very good track electronically of all our job costing, production times and labor and equipment times and costs.

I decided last winter to purchase one 16' enclosed trailer, I fit it up with shelves,bins,racks desk etc. I dedicated a full set up of instal tools to this one trailer - laser, hand tools, power tools, saw grinder, repair tools, lighting tools, nut bolts, pipe, fabric you name it.

This trailer was then dedicated to one crew for the season ( the one that does the largest more complex jobs)

I can say WITHOUT a doubt the trailer has made this crew more profitable, The time saved from the reduced trips to supply yard for misc items alone has made it more than pay for itself in one year aside from the countless other ways it has made the crew more efficient.

We will be adding another trailer for 2015

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Wow thats awesome. How many crews do you run?

10. F4rm3rj03

F4rm3rj03 LawnSite Senior Member