1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Updated "Top of the line" Blower comparison chart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Happy Frog, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I might be opening a can of worm but here is a comparison chart of the "big name" top of the line backpack blowers.

Before settling down on a specific model, one must understand that the actual blowing power has much to do with the volume of air displaced (air mass) and the speed at which the blower will move this air (velocity).
    The blower efficiency index on the chart is a very good indicator of how the blower will perform compared to the others.

As you can see here, there is actually not much difference between the three "big names" top of the line blowers (Echo, Redmax and Stihl).
    You can also see that a good performer not much talked about is the Kawaski KBR750 which has the highest engine power and performs about the same as the Stihl BR-600 while being the quieter of all.
    On the other hand, the two new Shindaiwa blowers are in a whole different ball park in terms of actual blowing performance with a 33% and 48% increase in performance compared to the much talked about Stihl BR-600.

Top Blowers chart.jpg

Top Blowers chart.jpg

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

A blower is a blower. As long as it has some decent oomph, it's fine by me.

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the chart. I'm sure it will used many times on this site throughout the year.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

After trying several blowers, I will have to say that I do not believe the CFM at nozzle numbers. I do not own a Redmax 8001 because I think they are heavy and I do not like the way they feel, but I will say that I believe they have the most air volume out of the pipe no matter what these charts show. I can tell you that my Sthil 600 blows harder than my Redmax 7001, but not as much as what the difference in ratings would suggest. Not that anyone cares, but after trying a Shin 802 I'm about 99% sure that will be my next blower. It has great power, nice weight and feels good on.

5. Happy Frog

That's funny you say that... ;)
    The Redmax EBZ7100 (which is not on the table) would have a performance index of 1231 which is below all the blowers of this panel but not that big of a difference with the BR-600 (just 16% less in blowing performance).
    You see, because of the laws of physics an increase in air speed has a bigger effect on performance than an increase in air volume but both are needed to get the job done.
    I, for one, believe in the rating given by the manufacturers. They are consistent with the performance index on this chart... :rolleyes:

6. TheUfan

TheUfan LawnSite Member

For my money at this moment, I would use the BR-600. It has great performance, low noise volume, and is amazingly comfortable. I like shidaiwa and I might try the 802 but it would have to be more comfortable than the stihl to get my dollars. I have owned an echo 755 and a 620 and they are reliable blowers. The 755 is very uncomfortable though to wear for long periods of time.

7. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

thats why i love my Kawaski KBR750

8. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Good chart frog. I still believe Stihl sets the bar in accessory equipment and am diehard about their products. I love my BR600R. I can barely hear it running when idling. I personally focus on CFM as the important number over air speed.

9. Happy Frog

I agree with you on the Echo 755 being reliable but uncomfortable to use and this is why I bought the EB-802. More power and by far the most comfortable blower on the market today.

10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I have an Echo PB620 and have no problems with it. I think its up to personal preference.