1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade Edger, Trimmer and Blower???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by exmark22, Jun 13, 2008.

1. exmark22

exmark22 LawnSite Member

I am using reconditioned Weedeater products now, but they lack power.

Anyone have any suggestions on Commercial Grade brands (Echo, Stihl, Tanaka, etc...).

Would really appreciate input?

Seems like most of my time on the grass is spent with trimming and edging. I would really like to cut my time as much as possible.

2. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

The biggest issue is what dealers you have locally, and which will provide the best support. All of the major brands make quality equipment (Stihl, Echo, Redmax, ect.)

I personally use Stihl trimmers and edgers, and an Echo blower.
  3. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I switched from A Toybuilt trimmer ( from Lowes) to a Echo srm 230 with cushioned grip. It cost about 2.5x the price of the toybuilt, but is a world of difference in quality. Much more powerful and much less wear on the hands. I also believe it will last much longer. I have a Sthl chainsaw and recommend sthl or echo for almost any blower or trimmer.
  4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl and shindaiwa are both great choices.
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl and Echo are good. I personally don't care for my Echo's, they are underpowered and harder to start.
  6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

same here minus the echo blower. i have a redmax as listed in my link and it runs great. also have had great service out of redmax blowers. i have had stihl, redmax, shindaiwa, and echo and would reccomend any of them based on dealer support.
  7. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa Trimmer, Shindaiwa Edger, Redmax Blower!!!!!!!!!

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I'd go stihl all the way. FS-250R for a trimmer, BR-420 magnum for a blower, save money and dont get an edger and use the trimmer to edge. After sometime using the trimmer you will become very good.
  9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I'd get stihl, but their new gas caps SUCK. I really love the Husqvarna trimmers that my friend has. 323L's. Great power, light, starts easy, runs great. And most importantly, they have a user-friendly gas cap.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

The stihl two strokes all have the easy to use screw on cap not the over designed p.o.s one on the 4 mix.